1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More of my "give me something to read" soapbox

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Great stuff in this story by Brett McMurphy in Tampa on an interesting recruit and saga (and no I'm not Brett and yes he is a friend of mine). This makes me harp on the "give me something to read" message I keep singing about newspapers. To hell with bells and whistles, give me something to read. I've followed this saga because I covered it a bit when he was being recruited by VT. This was way more info than I got anywhere else.

Of course, I read it online. For free.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/aug/23/sp-the-total-package/

This is what newspapers can do. I wish more were doing it regularly.

GIVE ME SOMETHING TO READ. I don't need "alternative" story telling. I don't need bells and whistles and graphics and stuff. I WANT TO READ MY NEWSPAPER.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ah, the Tribune's lone college writer...

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Bravo, Moddy.

Sam Zell's few remaining TribCo designers just had an acute pain in their frontal lobe and don't know why.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Doesn't Florida have a law where public entities records are open to anyone for review and jobs need to be posted for anyone to apply?

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I agree with you in the larger sense. But I must admit I do usually read alternative story forms in spite of myself when the subject interests me, although I think they are often forced and not very good. I don't know about the average reader, but it's apparent to me when something is filling an alternative-story-form quota rather than being told that way because it's the best way to tell it. But then I also often feel the same way about the obligatory "enterprise" centerpiece. I think most newspapers are too planned and too formatted and that they're duller because of that.

6. Thanks, Moddy, for directing us to this. I don't spend much time searching newspaper Web sites from across the country, so I always appreciate when people point out interesting things here.

Question about the story, though. Why weren't there quotes from the player, or any indication McMurphy talked with him? McMurphy definitely covered all the angles, but I'm just curious about the absence of the main subject's voice. This isn't meant as a criticism, just wondering.

7. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

Heath wouldn't allow him to be interviewed. It's mentioned in the bottom half of the story.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It said in there coach wouldn't allow player to be interviewed. Knowing Brett, I'm sure he tried anyway.
    When kid was being recruited by VT and then trying to get out at VT, this sketch hanger-on was doing most of the talking. This whole situation makes me wonder hard about the parents.
    This kid was the guy's best man? At like 16?

9. D'oh! I read right over that as I sometimes do when info is put between quotes like that. Again, that's not meant as a criticism of the writer. That one's all me!

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Amazingly brazen. When Sonny Vaccaro is in your corner, step away from the ropes and find another place to hide.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Update: Terrelle Woody, Gilchrist's bag man, has been hired as a "video and conditioning assistant" at USF.

12. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

This saga sickened me, and Terrelle Woody is a complete schmuck. Initially, Va Tech signed Gus and Woody hoped to get a cushy job, but it fell through, the relationship between Gilchrist and Greenberg soured, Gilchrist signed with Maryland with the same hopes, again falling through, and Gus leaves to go to USF.

Woody's a douchebag and I hope when Gilchrist makes it to the NBA, he realizes it quickly so Woody doesn't funnel out his paycheck as his "agent".

Draft saved Draft deleted