1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More NYC travel advice, please

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Mar 2, 2015.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's something that was on my anti-bucket list but unfortunately, I crossed it off. :p

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Anyone been to Brooklyn Crab? Worth a visit? Never been.
    In Harlem, been to Silvia's and Amy Ruth's. What about Red Rooster? Worth a visit? Better than Sylvia's or Amy Ruth's. Miss Mamie's Spoonbread has the best fried chicken.
    Worth walking over the Brooklyn Bridge? Yes. Get a slice at Grimaldi's when you get to the Brooklyn side.
    Any tips on where to go in the Bronx (Arthur Ave. specifically) for Italian? I read that's the real Little Italy. Great Italian restaurants up and down Arthur Ave. You can't really go wrong. I'd recommend Antonio's or Roberto's.
    Any tips on where to eat in Chinatown? Not me, but I believe @PaperDoll researched this for the last NYC outing.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'll add my two cents:

I am not the person to ask about crabs or the Harlem restaurants. Or Chinatown for that matter... So I'll defer to others.

But, yes on walking the Brooklyn Bridge. I do it often and I find it therapeutic sometimes. It's just beautiful, especially at night. Only bad thing is that over the last 15 years it has become a more popular thing to do, so you get tourists walking slowly or stopping to take photos and it can be really slow getting across -- the pedestrian lanes aren't made for more than 1 1/2 people going each way, so it just takes one idiot to create a backlog.

When you get to the Brooklyn side, go for Juliana's over Grimaldi's. Depending on when you go, there will likely be lines at each. It's a bit of an involved story, but the original Grimaldi family sold the place (guessing about 30 years ago). It remained really good -- owned by Russians, I think. About 5 years ago, though, they were losing their lease and they ended up moving a few doors down to the corner of Front Street -- bigger restaurant. That is when the original Grimaldis moved back into the original restaurant (with the coal oven) and opened Juliana's (they don't own the rights to the Grimaldi name anymore). They are both good pizzas, but Juliana's is the better of the two -- depending on how you want to argue it, Juliana's might be the best neopolitan pizza in the city.

On Arthur Avenue, yes -- do it over Little Italy; it's just a trip if you aren't going to be up there for something else. A bunch of good restaurant choices, but I like Dominick's -- really good, old school Italian food.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Didn't realize this. Follow Ragu's advice.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I did too. Made four trips through the Lincoln Tunnel. Once I got through the traffic didn't really bother me. Next time I'm either staying in the city or taking the shuttle. One trip's worth of the tunnel was enough for me. Liked how the state line is marked in there though.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Anybody got any advice on how to get discounted Broadway tickets? I know about TKTS and the "rush" tickets. Anything else? And does anybody know about "rush" tickets; if it's worth trying to get them, are they good, etc.? Thanks in advance.

Draft saved Draft deleted