1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More NYC travel advice, please

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Mar 2, 2015.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

We are not on the last day of our stay before heading back. Spent yesterday and Wednesday in the city and had a blast! Thanks to all the SJers who contributed advice. Having not been to NYC before, it was nice to go in with some knowledge of what to expect. I got the Lincoln Tunnel experience twice, and while I wouldn't want to do that every day, it was cool to see what it's like. The first day was bad enough that the toll booth attendant was just waving everybody through.

Here's something I'd recommend: I used the Spothero app to arrange for parking both days. It finds the parking facility and allows you to pepay for parking. I got parking for 9 am - midnight for $18 each day.

One more tip: Avoid the cartoon characters in Times Square. They work for tips, and if you or your kids stand with one of them, you'll find yourself surrounded by a half-dozen. If you really want your picture with Dora the Explorer, be ready to hand over cash.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The nude women in Times Square also work for tips if you want your picture with them. I know this because someone told me.

3. Heading up next week.
    Got a room at the Martha Washington ...
    Tickets for Book of Mormon a trip to Chinatown and the "Diamond District" for the wife.
    She's also looking for places to shop ... she was at Filenne's Basement last time, but it has since closed. Any other places like that?
    Me? Beer, people-watching and exploring.

Any good places to eat in Chinatown? How about after the show Friday night? dinner and drinks? Or dessert?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's quickly becoming an SJ tradition to come into Midtown and buy lunch for Moddy and me. Just saying.

JackReacher likes this.
  5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Century 21 has the same type of shopping as Filene's. Right by the WTC site.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And talk hockey?

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

That might be on the table this fall. We have train ticket vouchers that expire soon.

cranberry likes this.
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Sounds like an SJ outing in the making. Let's work on this.

Dyno and JackReacher like this.
  9. JackReacher

Not the worst idea you've ever had.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I will be in NYC in mid-July. I have touched base with Moddy, always up for beer and a little hockey talk.

cranberry likes this.
  11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Been to NYC a bunch of times for work but only for a day or two and I'm going in a few weeks with my wife for a quickie vacation. Got a couple questions:

Anyone been to Brooklyn Crab? Worth a visit?
    In Harlem, been to Silvia's and Amy Ruth's. What about Red Rooster? Worth a visit?
    Worth walking over the Brooklyn Bridge?
    Any tips on where to go in the Bronx (Arthur Ave. specifically) for Italian? I read that's the real Little Italy.
    Any tips on where to eat in Chinatown?

Thanks!

12. JackReacher

I'll be in NYC on Friday....has anyone ever done the jet ski tour around Manhattan? Worth the price?

Draft saved Draft deleted