1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More NYC travel advice, please

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Mar 2, 2015.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

I concur. Pick one of the the many train stations in suburban NJ and take the train in. Relatively inexpensive and way less stressful than driving in.

2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

New Yorkers see politeness as a sign of weakness. You may want to rethink your survival strategy.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If you think hotels are expensive, wait until you try to get tickets for that show.

I did standing room for 27 bucks and it was great. Perfect view and an "assigned" spot on the rail. Great show.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Last time, I stayed at Pod 51 for about $160 per night. Small room, but a private bath.

5. I can swallow the Broadway tix. I ain't seeing Wicked on Broadway in Charleston or Wheeling. It's Broadway. I get it.
    Hotels ... I can bag a nice hotel stay in most of the country for $135 a night.

I looked a Pod 51. It was the cheapest, but shared bathroom and $180 a night (starting on a Wednesday).

When we go to NYC were use the room to sleep. That's about it.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Same here. I was solo that trip, so Pod 51 was perfect for me. Plus the rooftop bar was a nice place bonus.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Our plan is to see two shows. Maybe three. It's the biggest line item on my trip budget (because my lodging is free).

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Email me (you have the address?) for some show tips. RARELY will you have to pay full price

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No better way to make new friends than with a shared bathroom.

"OK if I shave while you're pooping?"

Seriously, you can do better on hotels unless there's some sort of city-wide king hell convention that has every room at a premium price. Check the usual online services for a better value.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There's a DoubleTree in Midtown that's typically inexpensive.

Draft saved Draft deleted