1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More NYC travel advice, please

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Mar 2, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Just wear a fannypack and solve all your problems.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

While I'm thinking of it: Don't walk four-abreast and clog up the sidewalks, either.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ugh. Hog the sidewalk and walk so slow you may as well be going backward.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

No and no. Only way I'll have a backpack on the front if Mrs. Novelist takes one and gets tired of carrying it. Then I'll have front and back. No sandals. I'll be in running shoes. With socks.

5. novelist_wannabe

Only going to be two of us. Not gonna guarantee we won't walk slow, but we're polite enough to stay out of people's way when possible.

6. cranberry

There you go. You and Mrs. Novelist will be fine tourists.

Pro tip: Don't buy weed near Central Park's southwest entrance. It's likely just oregano.

7. novelist_wannabe

8. Heading up there in May. Damn hotels are expensive. Starting at $200 a night (shared bathroom), plus taxes?

Looking at Broadway, thinking about catching the Book of Mormon.

9. cranberry

You can probably find a place, even on a budget, in which you don't need to share a bathroom.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I commute in from the NJ suburbs every day. What I would probably do is drive to Secaucus and park there. It is a commuter train station about 10 minutes outside of midtown -- Exit 15X on the Turnpike. Parking is reasonable and safe and you don't have to deal with the worst of rush hour traffic. There is a quick shuttle bus to the train station and trains to NY Penn every couple of minutes

Don't park in Hoboken (a disaster to drive through and expensive), EWR (super expensive to park and the train into NYC is also jacked up in terms of the price) or even the Gateway in Newark (tough to get in and out of).

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

As The Crow Flies likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

IMO, if you don't eat Italian or Chinese in NYC you're just not playing the percentages. Chinatown is as close to an "eat anywhere" situation as you'll find outside Louisiana. For Italian, do something really exotic and take the subway to Bamonte's in Brooklyn. Alleges to be the oldest restaurant in Brooklyn. If I was throwing a mob wedding, it's where I'd have the rehearsal dinner.

Draft saved Draft deleted