1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More NYC travel advice, please

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Mar 2, 2015.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK, so my first actual visit to New York (had a six-hour layover at JFK once. It was about the least friendly place I've ever been) is coming up in about six weeks. We have a pretty clear plan of what we want to see and do, but I've got a transportation issue for which I'd like some input. Because the lodging is free, I'll be staying at a resort in the Poconos 80 miles out. We're looking at two day trips into the city. I've checked bus fares and they cost too much. So I'm going to drive at least most of the way in. What I need to know is what is the best approach:

1.) Drive all the way into the city (is the traffic and parking as bad as it's made out to be?)
    2.) Drive to Newark, park at EWR and take public transportation into the city.
    3.) Something else (you tell me)

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Either way, don't forget to fill up in NJ.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You can find city parking online for a price that won't make you want to murder someone.

4. novelist_wannabe

That's helpful. I had no idea you could purchase parking online. It appears driving into the city and parking is not significantly different in price than parking at the airport and taking the shuttle bus.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) Traffic depends on when and exactly where you are heading. It helps if you know the different routes in (tunnels, GW bridge) and how to navigate, and you won't have that benefit. It doesn't have to be miserable. ... but the parking if you do get yourself into Manhattan will be more expensive than parking outside of NY and taking public transportation in -- unless you can find street parking. It's doable, especially if you head to upper west or upper east side or lower east side. But you probably don't want to do it unless you know exactly where you are driving around in circles looking for street parking.
    2) You can do the Newark route, but it might even be cheaper and more convenient to drive to one of the other Path stations and park nearby. I have never done this, but what comes to mind as a guess (and you might want to look into it) is Journal Square -- which is near Jersey City. I'd bet that a parking lot near there is a lot less than it will be in Manhattan, and if the lot is right near the Path station, the train will zip you right into Manhattan cheaply.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Drive in and take the Lincoln Tunnel. It will take a couple hours. Then park at the Edison ParkFast on 42nd St. between Ninth and Tenth -- it's a park and lock place (so you keep your car keys) and not terribly expensive, plus it's only a couple blocks north of the Lincoln Tunnel. That will put you in good position to go see pretty much anything in Manhattan.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you are going to drive I would not leave the Poconos until after 9 am to avoid heavy RT 80
    commuter traffic in Morristown area. Leaving after 9 will also put you behind the NYC traffic.

I would take RT 80 to I95 / GW Bridge Lower Level . Then West Side HGHY to 57th St. There is
    a parking garage at Holiday Inn on 57th between 9th and 10th ave that's reasonable. You are
    walking distance of Midtown and close to major subway hub at Columbus Circle to get downtown.

When leaving city I would either try to be on road by 3 pm or stay until after 6pm to avoid reverse
    traffic issues.

I come from another direction so I've never done train from NJ but the guy to ask is Moddy who
    I believe commutes in.

If you don't hit traffic the drive is not bad.

BTW The Poconos has a dam good factory outlet in Tannersville that's off beaten path a bit so selection
    is real good at place like North Face and Polo. Go to main Polo store in NYC and then find items you want
    at 1/3 price at outlet.

8. Boom_70

Edison lot is also good. Tunnel or Bridge really depends on traffic One could be 10 minutes and the other could be an hour. Would listen
    to traffic reports on way in - News Radio 88 with traffic on the 8's. As you come into to 95 from 80 you can then decide based on traffic
    report to go Lincoln Tunnel or GW Bridge.

9. novelist_wannabe

We'll be way after six leaving the city. If I leave late enough to avoid morning rush, am I also playing roulette in terms of parking availability?

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I have friends who use this lot all the time. They can't find one less expensive.

11. Boom_70

No - not at time of year you will be going. Really any time of year there is plenty of parking. I've never
    been shut out of that Holiday Inn lot.

12. novelist_wannabe

After looking at a map, that might be the winner. Boom thanks for the tip on the outlet center. We have another day trip to Cooperstown planned, but we'll take a couple of days where we're not riding so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted