1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More nuanced approaches in sports that aren't baseball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Apr 19, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

According to Bill James it is.

His definition of sabermetrics = "the search for objective knowledge about baseball."

Passer rating attempts to take different aspects of QB performance, put them into a formula, and objectively calculate who is best.

Whether it passes or fails at this is inconsequential. It's attempting to do so. And it is widely accepted in the NFL.

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Oh well Bill James said it is so it must be. ::)

I don't think you know what you are talking about. It is not widely accepted within the NFL. Players, coaches, GM's ... etc. don't pay attention to it much at all. It is a stat cited by the media a lot. That is unfortunately where it is accepted. However, even the media are accepting it less and less because it is a horrible formula. It rewards yards in relation to attempts wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much among other problems.

3. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

No, that would be you, flubber. You made a comment about passer rating after a post that had nothing to do with passer rating. If you thought it did, then you must be pretty dumb.

I gave you a pass because it seemed as if you were just trying to stir up others. But now that you have come back to start crap, I have to ask how you thought that concept -- passing yardage vs. rushing yardage -- had much to do with passer rating.

4. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Seriously? Wow. Some of the things that people try to throw at the wall here are mind-blowing ...

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Passer rating does exactly what it purports to do -- create an objective measurement for ranking QBs.

Now, debate the merit of these rankings all you wish. It remains a sabermetric-type tool used by some to evaluate a player's effectiveness.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

QB rating is qualitatively similar to sabermetrics in this regard: It is an attempt to quantify dimensions of a player's performance to compare that player to other players ostensibly playing similar roles.

QB rating is qualitatively different from sabermetrics in this regard: Decision-makers in baseball use sabermetrics when deciding which players to sign (or trade) and how much to sign them for (or demand for them). People in football do not use QB rating AT ALL.

7. mrbio

mrbio Member

"It is what it is."

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Thank you, Meow-Meow

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I like chicken, I like liver ... please deliver.

10. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Sometimes I laugh irrationally at things. This is one of those times.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Obviously, not everyone saw the previous season of Big Brother.

12. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

I didn't miss missing it, just as I do every year. So I have no problem admitting that any jokes from that will sail past.

Draft saved Draft deleted