1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More newsworthy: Wooden's death or college conference restructuring

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jun 5, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess the noob owes us a beer.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Rue McClanahan's death or Japanese prime minister resigning?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I can think of two writers I know who, if they were writing Wooden's obit because he coached at nearby Big State U, would have to continue it in the next day's paper

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is not even a question. This is on par with Nicklaus, Arnie or Ali passing. Yeah, the Wizard is that big of a deal. I don't save many papers these days, but my parents are getting me today's Times.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It is a big deal, you're right.
    Yet, thanks to the ESPN crawl overkill, I'm getting the same 24-36 hour overload I had when Joe DiMaggio died in the same plane crash as JFK Jr.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I give ESPN credit for this: Wooden's reign predates the WWL's founding, and sometimes they want to act as if sports history only began when they did.

In this case, it might not be possible to overkill.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There's no overkill with this. He's that big in the sports world.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

More newsworthy... you are kidding, right? Wooden all the way.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I thought Wooden's death, although not truly surprising, is a huge story.

I haven't run a single line on college conferences changing. As Don Nelson once said "90 percent of the things that get talked about never happen." I really don't think there will be much change in the next five years.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

What planet do you live on?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The college stuff is fun to knock around, like sports talk shows have been knocking around LeBron for the last two years. Wooden is/was the greatest living college basketball coach, if not basketball coach period.

My guess? Conference restructuring won't happen, if it does, until October. College presidents are heading out the door for summer, nobody wants to deal with this now. That said - they don't want to be caught by surprise while they're on vacation so they want to have their ducks in a row.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Facts take precedent over unconfirmable rumors and guesswork, which is all the conference shuffle story is now. So you give Wooden more coverage.
    IF your paper had an exclusive with quotes from parties involved about a done deal for restructuring, you could lead with that. And boy, would some people on your staff deserve raises.

Draft saved Draft deleted