1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More newspaper idiocy, Star-Telegram edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jan 30, 2009.

1. jps

jps Active Member

dude, you've got issues. lots of em. it's not news, no, but clearly you need to see a professional. first, lay off the managers with every freaking post. are some bad? absolutely. I've worked for some of em. but some are some of the best people I've met in life - and I can only hope that my writers feel somewhere near the same about me.

and, seriously, is e-mail evil? it's not e-mail's fault that you, in fact, did not win the lottery and that the needy nigerian princess is, as it turns out, living in newark. how do you feel about cell phones? cd players ok to use, or do you prefer the phonograph? sheesh. (paging dr. kaczynski ...)

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Despicable editor who ought to be gone yesterday. Congrats to the three named in the memo, for they have enviable job security now -- with lawyers running scared -- in a profession offering little.

But gimme a break on those who rush to the "she's being discriminated against because she works harder and gets paid less" issue. Do you really think that newspapers intend to, or even can afford to, constantly adjust their pay scales to reward only the top producers?

They want a new pay scale, period. Those who have been around, like GLB and JR, are targeted for pushing out the door to shed their fat salaries. Those making much less are the new stars, not so much for the quality or the quantity they produce but for the price at which they produce it.

Witt and his jerkoff peers want their newsrooms stocked with people making way less money. Oh and why they're at it, way fewer people, too.

People might as well stop the whining about unequal pay for equal work -- the only way these news operations believe they can survive (below the glass-office level, that is) is equal work for significantly less pay, from significantly fewer of us. And by God, they'll turn to bankruptcy courts to get to that goal if they have to.

Draft saved Draft deleted