1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More newspaper idiocy, Star-Telegram edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jan 30, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Gil: Don't really know you, certainly know of you, and I know we've probably run across each other at an event or two over the years. The Doug Williams Super Bowl, perhaps.

Something has really struck me in the past few weeks: The thinking that anybody over the age of 35 can't adapt to new technology and a new way of doing things.

Even E&P's Steve Outing, their cutting edge guy, says there are plenty of "elders" perfectly capable of and interested in trying new ways, if they're allowed to and not dismissed because they're older.

I'm 53; I started on the web at 40. And I've adapted plenty.

What happened to you here (not SportsJournalists.com, the e-mail) was totally inappropriate, public or not. And hell, maybe it was so stupid, there's no way they could possibly think to make it worse. So maybe ultimately, it's a victory for the good guys.

I hope so, anyway, although I don't know how you feel about everything right now. In any case, best of luck in whatever happens.

As an aside, I hope and ask that this doesn't become about Jennifer. Not her fault.

2. accguy

accguy Member

For those who call Jen Floyd Engel a youngster, that isn't exactly accurate. She's in her mid-30s. It's like she's 24 or something.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

This was posted on a blog and it's a pretty good send up of the whole fiasco. Enjoy.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Nice, sock.
    Very nice.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

This is going to force the ST to quit covering high schools. None of these three are going anywhere anytime soon (unless it's with a very, very large check).

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

they'd be crucified if they quit covering high schools in this state.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Agreed. High school coverage is a huge part of the DMN and the ST, even if they've taken the majority of it online.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've got Gil's back and Revo's too. Jen's a good writer too (and I'm not damning with faint praise) but I'm not as familiar with her column work. I guess Galloway's gone 100 percent radio as I haven't seen his print work in about 4 years.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Glad to see managers get fucked by email. Cause that is what they are best at: communicating through fucking email. Take that you stupid dumb ass ST managers. Hope these columnists quit or eat you for lunch. You are an embarrassment.

10. Scoop returns

Scoop returns Member

What would be poetic justice in this situation is they kept Gil, Jen, Reevo and just fired the stupid fucker who sent out the email! That's a major screw up his part and people have been fired for less in this business. He should have been fired many years ago anyways. Get his ass out of there!

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

It was more of a "Eastern Kentucky just got slapped w/ NCAA violations because Duke screwed up again" comment.
    Wasn't being serious.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Oh. Sorry. I struggle to catch sarcasm sometimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted