1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More newspaper idiocy, Star-Telegram edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not a problem, Gil. Haven't seen you since Sydney - still the highlight of my professional career. I'd say how you doing or some such shit but I suspect today's been kind of a suck day.
    Don't be a stranger.

2. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

You don't have to. The e-mail pretty much spells it out. Unfortunately.

Best of luck in whatever happens.

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Actually, his moniker for years has been Dim Witt. Which is why it makes perfect sense that he rose to that particular position.

4. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

Gil,

I'm really sorry.
    I hope you understand my thoughts were my thoughts based upon what I read in that note. The names could have changed and then those would have been the names I was referring to. Of course, there are always two sides to every story and I'm pleased to hear yours. I congratulate you on your willingness to go the extra mile.

Nonetheless, even if what has me so troubled isn't going on at the Star Telegram, I know it's going on elsewhere. I see it going on elsewhere. We all see it going on elsewhere. That's all I guess.

What was described, and what I've seen over the years, has always been a visceral issue for me. It is personal, but only for me. Not toward you, Jim Reeves nor anybody else's operation in which I may only have enough knowledge to be dangerous.

I am sorry.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I just meant it was an articulate post, compared to some others here. I don't see that I necessarily agreed it.
    Apologies if you felt I was slamming you.

In fact, I'll delete it.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Sounds like a lot of envy to me.

Do you have any idea what the editors ASK of Reeves, LeBreton and for that matter, Galloway? Probably not. And if not, then you're talking out your ass.

Edit: I see LeBreton has come along to try to set some of the record straight. Doesn't change my point. Why people would read that memo from that buffoon and assume that was an accurate depiction of things is beyond me.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't know his situation, or any particulars to which he might be alluding, but Gil has a point.

Newspapers often choose who they want to succeed. The people who succeed are the ones being encouraged and allowed to do so.

Or not.

Sometimes, that is why there are such glaring differences in workloads, not any lack of interest, motivation or effort on the part of someone else.

There is no denying it, and is part of why it has been said that the vast majority of work at a major paper might appear to be being done by the same five or 10 people all the time.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Wrong. You work for a commonwealth.

Though I don't know if there is much difference.

9. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

10. micke77

micke77 Member

hey, I gotta put in my punches for Gil. I have known him 30-plus years and, trust me, he has paid his dues and more and done his fair share of work and contributions to this profession. forget all of the awards he's won through the years. those speak for themselves. not only is he a dedicated and extremely conscientious member of our craft, but he's done it the right way and in a classy manner. i know him personally and respect him. and anyone who has known him for as long as I have and worked beside him at many, many events will agree. from the Montreal Olympics to countless other events, Gil LeBreton is a true pro.

11. This was the very road we predicted that "shared content" with Dallas would lead. Witt(less) is trying to justify to the beancounters why he can part with one or more of the highest-paid members of the sports staff.

And Micke's right. Anybody who has worked with these three people, Leb, Revo and Jen, knows they are hard-working professionals.

12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I've known Gil for about 25 years and I worked with him for about 10. He is a classy, passionate, extremely personable and helpful guy who is one heckuva columnist and always has been. Very talented and worth every nickel. Ditto for Jim Reeves.

I do not know Jennifer Floyd Engel or her work, but it sounds like she carries her fair share of the load. That's great. But to be comparing her salary to Leb's and Revo's is apples and oranges. Even if she is working more hours, is her quality of work on a par with them, and what do marketing studies say about how much of a readership draw her byline/column sig brings compared to Leb and Revo?

Even if Floyd's actual hours worked per week exceeds both Leb and Revo, what does that have to do with salary? If hours worked were the basis for salary size, then you average entry-level newbie burning with unbridled enthusiasm would be making 150K a year.

One last thought, does Engel happen to be a non-exempt employee? If she is, and if all that work Witt attributes to her typically amounts to more than 40 hours a week, S-T could be facing wage-and-hours legal issues. Yup, even so for sportswriters in this day and age of legal wrangling over workplace issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted