1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More newspaper idiocy, Star-Telegram edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jan 30, 2009.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

What an end-of-the-month surge in stoopid stuff. The LA Times "interview, the South Bend production memo, the LA Times deep sixing its local section, Belo charging for parking ...

Now we have an e-mail evaluating the worth of 3 sports columnists being sent to the ENTIRE NEWSROOM.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wow, that was brutal.

It also could be grounds for a lawsuit since they talk about how she makes less and is younger.

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Wow.

This is just a confirmation -- in black and white, and now, read all over -- of all we've ever suspected gets thought of, talked about, and executed, along with an inside view of exactly how it's done.

You talk about a look behind the scenes, and behind closed doors...Scary but authentic, I'm sure.

What I'd really like to see, though, is Witt's "explanation."

Really, what is there to explain? His memo/arguments seem perfectly clear.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

If I were Jen, I'd be asking for a lot more money.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm sure this exec will be fired for misuse of the company's e-mail system...

The fact they might even be considering laying her off is fucking ridiculous. She's a tremendous writer.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Here is Witt's explanation/apology e-mail:

Sounds like more Executive Editor BS.

The original e-mail was copied to Darla Ruiz who is in S-T Human Resources. If the e-mail to the publisher was about journalistic issues (content sharing) then why should someone in HR be copied. Also, why the mention of how much the 3 columnists make?

I just love it when some EE tries to pull a fast one that a summer intern could figure out is bogus.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Also, the subject line of Witt's original e-mail was "Gil Lebreton". If he was really explaining content sharing ideas/issues with the publisher, why use that subject line?

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The Witt apology is probably the first time I've ever heard somebody stammer in writing.

9. Sure, Jim, pay scale is always the measuring stick for determining whether to share content.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Thanks, SockPuppet, for getting and sharing that explanation.

And, I think you're probably right on all counts.

11. lono

lono Active Member

It never fails to astonish me how much contempt managers have for our ability as journalists to ferret out bullshit. That's what we do for a living!

By coming up with such a lame explanation, he is in effect saying, "I truly believe you are too stupid to know I'm lying through my teeth."

Nice way to have your boss think of you.

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

FYI on the S-T publisher. When he arrived from some small paper in the Carolinas, he had lunch with SE and the EE. He asked why the pro beat writers had to travel to road games.

Draft saved Draft deleted