1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More news from the AJC (actually old news updated)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigbadeagle, Aug 19, 2008.

1. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

From Matt Winkeljohn's Georgia Tech beat blog this morning:

Not a victim indeed.
    Made a choice last month when the AJC offered a voluntary separation to reduce staff numbers. Enough staffers accepted that no layoffs were required.

Winkeljohn also wrote that D. Orlando Ledbetter and Larry Hartstein will be taking up the Tech coverage mantle soon.
    But for anybody looking to move onward and upward in this biz these days, these words may be troubling:
    Enough staffers accepted that no layoffs were required.

2. sammalone

sammalone New Member

Wow, it just keeps getting worse there. I agree with Mike Knobbler: The sports section will not be irrelevant, far from it, but they have far fewer people than they did when I was a huge fan of the AJC sports section. Haven't they also lost a lot of editors? I know Virginia Louis was one of the top people in the department, and she's no longer there

3. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Sports still has Ronnie Ramos; he's holding it together.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know what he's holding but it definitely isn't together.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I thought Ronnie was moved out of sports.

6. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

AJC also just announced they're dumping their Sunday opinion section, effective immediately.

7. KG

KG Active Member

That sucks.

They are also doing something with the comics where it's split into two separate sections or something like that.

8. sammalone

sammalone New Member

I'm familiar with Ramos. He wasn't what I meant by 'good' editors. I'm told by someone there that he spends more time reading this board than actually working.

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Two years ago, the AJC had a newsroom of 500 strong.
    Soon, that number will be approximately 350.

10. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

I thought Ramos was the original young effin' stud.

11. Dr. Beardface

Dr. Beardface New Member

Strickland and Kendall

Does anybody know what it was they're joining forces in? It seems like communication skills are lacking in that few from their old shops seem to know. Nothing like letting your old colleagues know.

So much was made of their departures.

12. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

who exactly from their old shops needed to know why they were leaving? it's not like either of them spent much time in the office.

http://ourvarsity.com/index.php

Draft saved Draft deleted