1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More NBC late night movement coming Fallon to Tonight Show, Stern to 12:30?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 7, 2013.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Is E! owned by NBC? According to Wiki, it is, so it would also seem like a natural fit in term of having the guy under contract already. From his appearances on other shows and Loveline, I think he would be a natural when it comes to the interviewing, but I don't really know what his chops are when it comes to writing. I don't think he was a stand-up, just an actor if I recall correctly. Still, I'd be more into him getting a shot as opposed to Seth Meyers or Stern.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

McHale gets full writing credits on The Soup, so that might help.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Michaels doesn't have host approval of Late Night, and with the move of the Tonight Show to NY, you would have to think Late Night would go to LA, which could also influence the host decision.
    Still like McHale.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I haven't heard his show in forever, so I found a place to download his show from Tuesday and gave it a listen. Tuned out after less than 10 minutes. It's the same damn show as in 1994, except with no Jackie and cursing. C'mon, Howard, evolve just a touch.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

His flaw may be that he's too good looking. These late-night gigs are all about congeniality, not sexuality. Joel McHale is the kind of guy you'd want to have a beer with, but he doesn't look like the kind of guy you'd want to have a beer with.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Leno has beaten Letterman in the ratings for years because he does not threaten anyone. Letterman can be mocking, which many viewers, particularly women, dislike.

And if Letterman's sense of humor make female viewers uncomfortable then Stern will drive them away in droves. Stern is successful because he can reach a specific demographic, which works in radio. But I don't think his attempts at television have worked because that medium requires a broader audience to be successful.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Still haven't seen a credible source identify Stern as a player in any of this.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes, but you're also the one who said Ferguson was the worst of what was out there. ;)

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/stern_for_fallon_4Gzp0igNAdNQ8RvXN2Y6pN

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think if I were to piece together a late-night show based on what's currently on, it'd be:

Monologue: Conan O'Brien, but no one does these well anymore
    Sidekick: Jimmy Kimmel
    Special segments: Conan O'Brien
    Interviews: Jimmy Kimmel for A-listers, Craig Ferguson for B-listers and hot chicks
    Band: Jimmy Fallon

Five or so years ago, I would have went with O'Brien across the board.

For what it's worth, I don't know anyone else my age who watches these shows except for specific interviews.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You linked to the story that Stern planted three weeks ago. What does that mean?

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Last time I watched more than a few minutes of one of these shows was the night Conan debuted on "Tonight."

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Sure sign Fallon is headed to "Tonight"....he's wrapping up some unfinished business. The brat kid in the high chair finally said she'd take some money.

Draft saved Draft deleted