1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More NBC late night movement coming Fallon to Tonight Show, Stern to 12:30?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 7, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If the Tonight Show moves to New York, do they move their 12:30 show to LA?

Otherwise, won't they be competing for guests (with the Tonight show winning)?

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

You don't gotta work blue! You got talent!

http://www.hulu.com/watch/3531

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

More people talk and read about late night talk shows than actually watch them anymore.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know if that's true... I think there are just so many of them that nobody is ever going to sniff the kind of ratings that Carson got in his heyday...

I just think people should look at what ABC has quietly done. Kimmel's show struggled so much early on that it seemed like the same guests were on almost every other week. It was Adam Carolla, David Alan Grier, Sarah Silverman, Kathy Griffin and a couple others because they had so much trouble booking guests and had so many cancellations...

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I would turn this just slightly, then say it's irrefutable: People talk and read about late-night talk shows more than they actually watch them.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree people make way too big a deal out of them.

Then again, when you have things like Leno vs. Letterman and the whole Conan debacle, it's easy to see how people get wrapped up in it.

Trainwrecks can be fun to watch...

7. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

LA to NYC sucks for any late night show. Of course, NBC could do it on the cheap and have them on an online hookup.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it "sucks".

Anyone doing a promotional tour for a new movie or album, or whatever, is still coming through NYC.

The three morning shows are there. It's the media capital of the world.

Lots of famous people are already in NYC, and access to DC types improves dramatically.

But, if a movie star is coming through NYC on a publicity tour, he's not going to do an NBC show at 11:30 & another at 12:30.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd assume that if they do move Tonight to NYC, they'll also revamp the entire concept of the 12:30 show, of which moving to LA could be part, or might not. But it'd have to offer something very different from Fallon. He's nice, so I think they'd have to get a bit edgy or offbeat.
    In other words, they should poach Ferguson.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My guess is that Fallon probably will do better with the older Leno viewer than either Kimmel or Letterman.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'd go with the 'F Troop' reruns options.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The late night shows already aren't what they once were, and that will be even more diminished when Leno and Letterman leave.

There are so many different options now and so many different ways to "watch TV" that nobody in late night will ever be as important as Carson was in his prime.

Draft saved Draft deleted