1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More NBC late night movement coming Fallon to Tonight Show, Stern to 12:30?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I don't know why Stern would want the job enough to plant the story. His demographic must be way older than the 12:30 audience and I bet he makes more from NBC on America's Got Talent than they are willing to pay the host. And it's not like Stern kills you with his work ethic these days.

That being said, his Saturday late night show on Channel 9 maybe 20 years was off the charts hilarious.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yes he would. I'd say he's almost a no-brainer at this point.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I had to choose between Howard Stern and Joel McHale, I would hire McHale so fast it's not even funny.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Stern needs to retire from everything except AGT, which is he apparently good at (and is probably the only thing he cares about, since that's all he talks about on his radio show. Well, that and his lawsuit against Sirius).

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I like Stern a lot, but he would be a fool to go to network television. They would have to hold back too much, that it wouldn't work.

McHale should be snapped up in a blur.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The Stern Show is collapsing around itself. Last week one of the show's "reporters" asked a Stern Show executive (Tim Sabaen) if he was dating Brandi Glanville (Real Housewives of Beverly Hills). He said no, but the whole exchange was edited out of replay broadcasts.

Glanville had been on the show within the last two weeks.

They also go to great lengths not to talk about Robin's health condition. She has not been in the studio in a long time because of some sort of illness (most suspect cancer). It's sort of bullshit that they ask all of these personal questions of guests yet cover-up obvious personal issues of the staff.

7. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

The Stern show is the sole reason Sirius is relevant. When he leaves that company it's going to lose a ton of subscribers. I listen to the show every week, and I don't think they have tried to conceal Robin's illness. If you are new to the show, then yes, you would have no idea. He's still entertaining and is one of the best live interview personalities of all-time. He does go on at-length about his lawsuit and AGT.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

He's an attention whore. He makes a fortune from satellite, but he doesn't get headlines any more. He's preaching to the choir on satellite, there are fewer restrictions on content, he doesn't have an evil boss/establishment to fight. He may not even want the NBC job, but he wants people to talk about him.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I think this is the answer.

I think it's more than a little hypocritical for someone who has made his foundation on "How big is your cock?" and "Do you do anal?" types of interview questions to be so hush-hush on Robin's situation. If they haven't concealed it, then what is her illness? Is it cancer? Why isn't she in the studio? Is she ever coming back to the studio? When callers ask those questions, they get reamed out for it. When she was mocking people for not coming in the days after Sandy hit and one of the staffers mentioned that she didn't come into the studio, she went nuclear on him. It's clear that their mantra of "No more bullshit" only applies to everyone else and not them.

Same with the "new" Stern. How many years did he rail on Imus for being an old, out-of-touch lazy radio host with a trophy wife who was with him only to make a name for herself? Now Howard has his own no-talent trophy wife, who he takes photos of frolicking in the snow in a bikini so he can Tweet them out, as he works 3 mornings a week, bitching about not getting a $300 million bonus and wondering why anyone would dare eat red meat.

Stern built his career taking on and taking down certain types of people. Now he is that type of person.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I can't tell you how long it's been since I listened to Stern -- or watched NBC's late night lineup, for that matter. At work, it's either Conan or Kimmel.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Stern's performance at 12:30 would make the Magic Johnson Show look like a success.

I used to love Stern, but his show went to meh once he was on satellite. Part of the fun with Stern was seeing him flirt with that imaginary line and seeing if he'd step over it (or if the FCC would say he stepped over it), and not even when it came to saying tits or fuck. Now he says that on his show every day, it's like whatever.

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

He certainly could renew his flirtation with that imaginary line on NBC late night.
    Perhaps the challenge would be reinvigorating and his humor would return to its previous glory.

Draft saved Draft deleted