1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More NBC late night movement coming Fallon to Tonight Show, Stern to 12:30?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Apparently NBC doesn't learn from its mistakes...

Jimmy Fallon is likely to take over The Tonight Show at the end of Leno's contract in 2014.

NBC wants Howard Stern to replace Fallon at 12:30.

I like Fallon better than Leno. That's a given. I just don't see him pulling Leno's ratings. I think he'll do better than Conan did, but I don't understand why they would force Leno out when he's still winning the night...

I know Kimmel is doing really well with the move to 11:30, but he doesn't have much pressure on him. If Fallon takes over and starts losing to Kimmel or Letterman, he'll be pushed out as well...

As far as Stern is concerned, I'd probably watch, but his lack of interest in hisn radio show is why I stopped listening a couple years ago after being a diehard for 25 years... Letterman, Conan and Fallon have done well at 12:30 because college kids loved them. I don't know if Stern (who has to be pushing 60) still has that appeal.

2. Mizzougrad96

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/70225/is-howard-stern-nbcs-choice-to-replace-a-moving-up-fallon

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've been DVRing Kimmel for the past month or so. Easily my favorite of the bunch.

I'd watch Stern, though. At least for the first couple weeks.

4. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I like Kimmel best by far... Some of the man on the street stuff is getting a little old...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

CraigyFerg, hands down.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I thought Louis CK was getting a late-night talk show?

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm a Letterman/Ferguson guy, and only when the desk isn't terribly busy. Haven't watched Leno in years.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I couldn't see Stern being anything but a complete flop if he tries to go from the no-holds-barred world of satellite radio to network TV - even late night.

Maybe he'd have the motivation to do it - he surely doesn't like being as irrelevant as he is, working 3 mornings a week in a pay-radio platform, interviewing Joan Rivers and Jesse Ventura once a month.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Bill Carter just called his literary agent.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Joel McHale would kill it.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'll stick with Craig.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Sounds like a story Stern planted.

NBC has viewed 12:30 as a place for someone who's up and coming, not for a 59-year-old guy with 30 years in the business. They couldn't make enough money at 12:30 to justify whatever they'd pay him, and he'd be gunning for the 11:30 slot after about two days of being a team player.

Draft saved Draft deleted