1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Myspace fun

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Apr 8, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A guy with the last name Ashley is headed for problems. And the first assaulter in the video supports the stereotype "she punches like a girl."

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

A very sad incident indeed.

However, I wouldn't go as far as to say this is a sign that this generation's behavior is a harbinger of our country's imminent demise. There have always been bullies, and high school has always sucked. If YouTube and cell-phone cameras existed in the past, I'm sure there would be sadistic teen-age beatdown videos posted.

I ain't one to point fingers. Violent video games/movies/music/television? Just plain bad genes? Society itself? Who knows. But I think good parenting can trump a lot of that. I grew up surrounded by plenty of violence, both in the neighborhood and in the media. My parents, specifically my mother, was strong enough and smart enough to let me know right from wrong. I think the approach succeeded, and my siblings and I turned out just fine.

And say what you will about parents' laying their hand on their child, but if I did anything like those kids did, my mother and stepfather would have beat me within an inch of my life. And I wouldn't have blamed them.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

But I think good parenting can trump a lot of that.

Therein lies the problem.

4. rube

rube Active Member

Yep.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The sheriff is idiotic blaming MySpace and YouTube. He doesn't realize how much easier the Web is making his job.

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I saw that, too. That's ridiculous. YouTube and MySpace would have to employ millions of people in order to monitor every site and video.

And, as you mentioned, these kids might not have been caught without YouTube.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So the victim wasn't living with her parents, has a history of anger problems, fought with her mother, and was on probation.

Yep, MySpace's fault!

8. TheSportsPredictor

Wow. Two girls pound on another girl in front of huge crowd at school. MySpace not involved!! How can that be??

http://www.courant.com/news/local/nb/hc-soufight0403.artapr03,0,5715635.story

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You're definitely loaded for bear, TSP. What specific post are you ranting against?

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Therein lies the problem. I can understand trying to protect children from abuse by prohibiting spankings, but God, has the pendulum swung too far in the wrong direction. Not only are there no consequences for these kids, unless you consider Okay, no computre for a WEEK" a punishment, but these jackass parents are defending these kids.

That said, if this person was cyber-bullying, I'm having a hard time generating much sympathy. My girlfriend's 13-year-old son has an asshole in his life that's hacked his Myspace and turned his profile into an advocacy site for homosexuality and done all of other cruel shit that's tied the kid's stomach in about a thousand knots. If this punk got a beat down I'd have a few feelings, but sympathy ain't one of 'em. If that makes me a bad person, so be it. If the kid's not gonna get his well-deserved ass whopping at home...

11. TheSportsPredictor

They're throwing the book at these kids:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/10/girl.fights/index.html

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Did they KILL her? How can they get life?

Draft saved Draft deleted