1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More MG News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

So true, Granny. As the soon-to-be-former SE, having been here for barely five months, I would also add that it absolutely sucks to have this happen before I really had a chance to put a stamp on the section.
    But I'll say this: All three of us are holding our heads up high and, one way or another, we'll get through it. We know it's no reflection upon us. And we appreciate the outpouring of support.

2. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

So I'm checking out JournalismJobs.com for obvious reasons, and down toward the bottom of the page I stumble upon a couple ads for an unnamed newspaper in the Southeast, posted March 3 and saying they anticipate openings for 2-3 news reporters and 2-3 copy editors in a couple weeks. Less than three weeks later, MG rolls out its bold and innovative "let's screw everybody in Danville" strategy. Coincidence? Maybe.
    Maybe not.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That'd be odd. I assumed the interviews y'all were having were strictly internal. But I've been wrong before and will be wrong again at least three more times before lunch.

4. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

More than likely, they are internal. At least that's the impression most of us have been given. But to see those mysterious ads, and then considering their timing, it just made me wonder. Blame it on a sense of heightened paranoia, I guess.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Well, you're not alone in the paranoia. After your post I checked jjobs to see if anything was posted that would fit my paper.

6. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Someone from another MG paper in Va. e-mailed me today to pass along his condolences. My reply, I'm afraid, might have come off as somewhat harsh. Basically I said that everyone who still works for MG needs to be looking over their shoulders.
    Having said that, I'm starting to feel a little bit better about my prospects for still being employed two weeks from now, albeit in a different role. But I'm also considering other options. I'd be foolish not to.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I feared the MG machete would hit my state/region. Waynesboro lost at least one and Charlottesville four today. More as I get details.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

One in sports in C'ville.

9. WS

WS Member

Around 30 people were laid off at the TV station in Raleigh, the 2nd biggest in the MG market.

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

It wasn't harsh.

11. Cubman71

Cubman71 Guest

13 folks let go today in Winston-Salem, two in the newsroom. Neither of them in sports.

Just so, so sad.

12. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Jesus. 13?

Draft saved Draft deleted