1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More MG News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. JerryMicco

JerryMicco Member

On Jan. 20, 1980, I started my full-time professional career at the Journal-Messenger in Manassas. My first assignment was a high school girls gymnastics meet at Stonewall Jackson high. It was a staff of 2, and Bob Dutton was my sports editor. I was right out of Penn State, and was (am) a Civil War buff. I was shooting myself in the foot academically, and a former Collegian mate of mine called to tell me she was leaving Manassas. I jumped at the chance.

This is terribly sad. I had a great time there. Was a writer for 8 months, then was promoted to Sports Editor the day we went to a sixth day of publication, a Saturday AM paper. We had been a 5-day PM and then added the AM on Saturday. Pretty fun getting out 2 sections in a day as well as covering an Osbourn City high school football game. Loved every minute of it.

We were rivals of the Potomac News back then. And it's distressing to see those two papers go. PW County is growing, but I guess those papers couldn't grow with it.

So for all the high school events I covered; The Maryland and UVa games I covered on my own time for clips. For the season I covered the Redskins home games and the many Bullets (now Wizards) and Caps games I did for the clips, I thank the J-M and the people who ran her. You gave me a chance and a start, and I'll never forget that.

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Something that slipped under the radar ... layoffs at Winston-Salem ...

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/11/16/it-was-time-for-me-to-go-says-laid-off-journalist/

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I thought old Warren didn't lay off the help?

4. SportsGuyBCK

And everybody made Romney and his time at Bain Capital an issue ... ol Warren is just as bad ...

5. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Not only the newsroom layoffs, the Publisher in Winston-Salem of nearly three years was let go and replaced with someone else currently in the Buffet stable.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Damn.

8. SportsGuyBCK

Just talked to someone still working there ... didn't have exact numbers, but the layoffs apparently covered all departments ... from what my source knew, the newsroom lost a couple writers, IT department lost a person, they lost their only HR person, and the web side lost a person ...

Draft saved Draft deleted