1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More MG News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

I cannot even begin to describe how saddened I was to hear the news out of Danville today. I feel horrible for all my former colleagues in that newsroom, especially Paul, Jason and Damien. They are a great group of guys who have made the best of what MG has done to them since I left last August.

It saddens me because I know how much was put into that sports section over the past five years by all that were a part of it. And now, that's basically about to erode from a solid, award-winning section to something that will be more of a burden on Lynchburg than something they'll want to take pride in because they'll have no direct connection to the Danville readers other than e-mailed stories from writers. I don't mean that as a knock on Lynchburg because I know most of those guys up there and they're all good people, but I think it's human nature to feel that way toward something you aren't emotionally connected to because you don't live there and don't fully associate with the readers of that area.

2. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

What he said, Bucknutty. I've watched from afar as others have lost jobs or battled uncertainty. Now I'm on the other side of the fence. I didn't think getting well wishes and sympathetic thoughts from others would make much difference. I was wrong. Thanks to all who have chimed in tonight.

3. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Thanks, Drew. I appreciate it and I know Jason and Damien do as well. You've been nothing but class since I contacted you out of the blue last summer and asked you about the job. Your advice to someone who was a total stranger at the time remains very much appreciated, and your continuing contributions as a stringer have helped the section remain strong. Unfortunately, as you correctly point out, that cannot continue under the new model, even though that's a good bunch of guys up in Lynchburg. You just can't serve a community well from 65-70 miles away, no matter how hard you try.

4. Hiro

Hiro Member

As another former R&Ber, my heart goes out. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a graveyard to whistle past.

Good luck to all of you. I'm sorry.

5. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Thanks, Hiro. It's remarkable to see how large the R&B Alumni Association truly is.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Yeah, we could make a good newsroom out of it.

The Danvillian: A reputable newspaper for a disreputable town

7. Keystone

Keystone Member

I heard something about the Piedmont Shopper trying to take over the R&B's legal ads. Wonder if its going to start a sports department, too.

8. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

You could make a great newsroom just out of the sports alumni alone. A lot of talent has come through those doors.

Keystone, knowing what I know about the Piedmont Shopper, the extent of adding sports content would be running press releases or reader-generated material. I can't imagine them hiring a full-time position.

9. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

No apologies necessary ... you needed to vent ...

10. Keystone

Keystone Member

Oh, I know that, too. But try telling that to a certain blogger with an axe to grind.

11. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

I think with MG shooting itself in the foot, there is no doubt that Danville would accept a grassroots newspaper to replace the Register & Bee. I've had people tell me that the idea has been tossed around by certain people in the community with the monetary resources to do it. But I'd feel sorry for anyone crazy enough to entrust that product's direction to a certain blogger with an axe to grind.

12. Hiro

Hiro Member

We are the Oakland Athletics of mid-east-coast medium market sports sections. And just like the A's, we're all juiced!

Wait, not juiced. I meant <i>sauced</i>.

Draft saved Draft deleted