1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More MG News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Too bad Morton can't be laid off.

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

And, don't forget, the Tampa Tribune is still in the chain. (For the time being.)

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I'm not sure can count on the lay of being limited to "suits" and executives. there were a lot of web/software developers, IT people, social media cordinators, etc.based there.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's true. Don't like to see those people lose their jobs.

5. DKIA

DKIA Member

A few years too late to save some good people their jobs, but Marshall Morton is finally stepping down at the end of the year.

http://www.media-general.com/press/2012/aug22_12.html

Also something could be happening with the Tribune sooner than later. Bill Barker, the Tribune's publisher, has been making the rounds and visited the two smaller dailies, Hernando Today and Highlands Today, several weeks ago to say he believed a buyer may be in place - an investment firm from outside the business, but couldn't say more.

6. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

World Media Enterprises, the company that owns most of the old Media General papers, announced today the elimination of 105 positions and the closing of the News & Messenger in Manassas, Va.

7. Keystone

Keystone Member

Holy crap!

Worked there in the 90s and had a blast going head-to-head with WaPo on preps.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

One of our long-time IT guys was one of the folks outside of the Messenger let go. Apparently about 15 minutes ago.

As for the Messenger itself, I feel terrible for everyone involved but as a business move I'm not surprised at all. That paper has been bleeding money for years, and one of the reasons Buffett had no interest in Tampa when he bought the rest of the MG properties was due to the Tribune's financial issues. Buffett doesn't seem to be the sort of guy who wants to continue to float money to losing properties with no hope of ever making that money back.

I think WME is starting to realize the sort of red-tape mess that MG left behind. I don't think WME liked the way the CECs were set up and they've been trying to move everything back to a more paper-centralized model, but it hasn't been easy.

It should be noted the final line of the release says no other job eliminations are planned or anticipated, so take that for what it's worth.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That's a big void to be filled in Prince William, and I'm doubting the Post will do the trick.

Given that their deadlines were super early -- 9 p.m., every night -- and they couldn't get any sports in the paper, you shouldn't be surprised.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's possible the Free Lance Star may see it as an opportunity to expand is coverage area.

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Only if they add more people, damn it!

12. Yeah, unlikely that the Freelance Star can expand to Prince William, given how much Stafford, Spotsylvania and Caroline counties have boomed. If locals were buying the News & Messenger, I can't see them springing for an out-of-town community paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted