1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More MG News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Wow.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

Where is MG in the forefront or even the background of digital news?

3. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

OK, so they're gonna sell the product that's producing most of the content for their so-called "digital news" company ... yet there doesn't seem to be any mention of how their "digital news" company will come up with content (besides the 2-minute clips provided by the TV stations) ...

Kinda makes me glad I was fired from an MG paper ... I can display that as a badge of honor ...

4. writingump

writingump Member

Me, too, SportsGuy. Join the club!

5. SportsGuyBCK

I'm also going to be interested to see what happens with all the "combined editing centers" they've foisted on themselves, especially if the papers are broken up between 2 or more buyers ...

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

You and me both, BCK. When they canned me, they made me feel like the most worthless, useless newspaperman ever. Time and distance have helped me to see the problem was on their end, not mine.

And, my current paper's corporate situation notwithstanding, I couldn't be happier to be elsewhere.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That's not a Media General thing. Any company that fires you has a habit of making you feel worthless and useless. Firings suck for a reason.

8. writingump

writingump Member

The guy who fired me seemed to bask in the glow. Karma came around to him three years later, though. Hope that those who fired MightyMouse and SportsGuy have had similar experiences.

9. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

10. Gold

Gold Active Member

This may be the best thing to happen to newspapers since 2006 (or before). Buffett knows value and he usually is pretty good at assessing value.

I don't think this means money will be pouring into newspapers and salaries, but I think it will mean some regained respect and better management at the top.

I

11. SportsGuyBCK

Depends on who's doing the managing ... if they bring any of the upper management types over from MG's newspaper division in this deal (and I mean ANY), then don't count on it ...

12. beanpole

beanpole Member

I'll be damned. This may end well after all.

Well, probably not. ... But still, a good day for MG folks.

Draft saved Draft deleted