1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More MG News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Sorry about that. I've never quite figured out how to use the blue font.
    I couldn't agree more - this isn't a competition to see who has it worse. We're all trying to find a way to survive and make the best of a situation none of us chose.
    No worries. A lot of what you described actually reminded me of what my wife has gone through. You see people who are infinitely less qualified and they're working...teenagers who, in many cases, don't really need the money...and it's incredibly frustrating when you're trying to support a family and you can't catch a break.
    Believe me, I haven't lost sight of my colleagues who are out of work completely, and I take nothing for granted. I know I could very easily find myself in the same boat at any moment.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What a soap opera. The RNPA will agree to the furloughs. Here's the note they got today from their leader:

For several weeks, the RNPA has been negotiating confidentially with Media General to settle all differences between us and forestall a battle over a new labor contract.
    This week, we had a huge opportunity within our grasp to achieve harmony in the newsroom and a common focus on our purpose as journalists.
    But Media General never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
    Yesterday, Media General pulled back from key elements of a package deal that went far beyond four furlough days. This package deal would have allowed us to avoid arbitration on key issues such as recall of laid-off employees, adequate notice of future layoffs, and severance pay for four part-time employees who didn't get a dime despite 70 years of service to Richmond Newspapers. It would have extended the labor agreement so we could focus on the newspaper instead of confrontation.
    It even would have resolved the consequences of the false and intimidating letter sent to you on Aug. 14 by the publisher, who as a result has prompted a new investigation by the National Labor Relations Board of a blatant attempt to punish you for supporting the RNPA.
    Let us be clear: the RNPA never refused to participate in the new round of furloughs. We simply insisted that the furloughs be part of a package deal that would settle all disputes and give the news staff a chance to focus on work instead of negotiating a new contract in a few months. When Media General reneged on portions of the package, we said we didn't have a deal. We didn't end negotiations and we didn't refuse to participate in furloughs.
    Media General, through the people who are supposed to lead this newspaper, misrepresented the nature of our negotiations and the position of the RNPA. The company continues to do so because it is using your fear in an attempt to undermine the union. It said we had refused to participate when, in fact, we were still talking to the company's lead lawyer as late as this afternoon.
    The company's fear campaign is pointless. We never rejected furloughs because we always were prepared to accept them. We listened when you told us late last month that you were willing to take the furlough days but wanted something in return. We had an opportunity for a settlement that would have given much in return to you and to your former colleagues who were laid off.
    We will agree to the furlough days. But it is sad that Media General has squandered its opportunity to settle all differences, bring peace to the newsroom, and show respect to the news staff.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Moddy, the RNPA sell out?
    I know labor and Richmond Newspapers, Inc. never saw eye to eye on many issues but this is amazing? By the way, who is the RNPA's fearless leader?

4. Moderator1

The response, and it may be me reading more into it but it does sound like more cuts were the alternate plan.

Staff:

Thank you for agreeing to participate in the 4th quarter four-day furlough plan. This will allow us to move forward and not resort to actions that would further damage our newsroom and the quality of our print and online products. Your supervisors will begin immediately to work with you on scheduling the additional furlough days.

Like all of you, we saw today’s unfortunate email from the RNPA. We do not see the need to dwell on the specifics.

Glenn

5. doug_funnie

doug_funnie New Member

All of this nonsense is probably the reason why Moddy didn't give his seal of approval to the recent sports writer opening at the RTD. Unbelievable.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

True that.

7. Moderator1

Please, gang, I know you mean no harm but please stop trying to read anything into my thoughts. I posted what I think on the job opening thread: I invested a lot of time into that paper and most of the current staff. I love Steve. Go in with your eyes wide open. Certainly worth investigating. No newspaper job right now is free from concern/worry. Ask a lot of questions. But I have never once advised staying away.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Fair enough. Got one question Moddy and I haven't been able to find out any information on this. What is going to be the deal with the recent vacancies they are looking to fill? In light of what is happening, one would think that they would halt the process of filling those jobs.

9. Moderator1

No halting that I've heard.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

But using logic here ( I know we're talking about MG) but they are asking those already on board to take more cut backs, how can they justify making any hires?

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A few of us at my shop got word from our boss yesterday that the regional design center for Virginia is going to be announced in the next couple of months and all the community papers will be designed in Lynchburg starting sometime in the first quarter.

There's been rumblings about this for quite a while, but this is the first time I've heard them talk about a start date.

12. thestatman

thestatman Member

Would that mean Charlottesville, a paper that is fairly big, could be plopped into that disaster of an idea? The Daily Progress being printed out of Richmond would make more sense since the delivery trucks can hop on I-64 instead of dealing with the winding roads of U.S. 29.

I know specifics are not out, but I would assume the Richmond-area community papers would still be printed out of Richmond? Not much sense adding more than the possible 15 papers that will be printed out of Lynchburg that is still having some issues with the press.

Draft saved Draft deleted