1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More MG News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sounds like to me like big brother is in the mood to cut further in order to fill his pockets with dead presidents.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Five more furlough days between now and the end of the year across the board at MG, as announced today.

3. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Just got the word a few minutes ago. If this crap keeps up, I'm quitting. Seriously, I'd be better off stocking shelves or flipping burgers than waiting for MG to screw us all again every three months.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Here's the release:

5. WS

WS Member

We got the same release, though it was signed from our "market leader"

6. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Got ours from Jim Zimmerman too. I was strongly tempted to write "F*** you" and hit reply, but wisely thought better of it.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, probably not a good idea.

I talked at length yesterday with two of my former MG colleagues - good, good people working their asses off and scared to death that another round of cuts is coming. I sure as hell hope not.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

With these cuts, WHY is MG posting for jobs in places such as Richmond and Lynchburg?

9. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

What annoys me is they're advertising for a copy editor in Waynesboro. Rumor has it that paper will be designed in Lynchburg by the end of the year along with Danville, Reidsville, etc. - the ones which are already there.
    So imagine this: you get the job, move to Waynesboro in, say, October, then maybe six weeks later you find out you have to start commuting to Lynchburg. That's 75 miles away if you know the shortcut through the mountains, 90 miles away if you go by way of Charlottesville. Good luck with that.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Seriously, if this is all you have to deal with between now and the end of the year, you're pretty fucking lucky.

Five days? Take it all in the same week, collect unemployment and it's basically the same as having to take 1-2 days unpaid.

It's better than an across-the-board cut where you have to do the same amount of work for less pay or it's better than layoffs.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You're an asshole.

1.) It's one day in the third quarter, four in the fourth.

2.) This most likely isn't INSTEAD of layoffs. Do you really think everyone's heaving a sigh of relief that they ONLY have to take furlough days? MG has done nothing to make anyone think this is it.

12. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Better than layoffs or a straight pay cut, yes. Don't think I've lost sight of the fact that I've been one of the lucky ones where layoffs are concerned. I'm probably overdue for that axe to fall on me, actually.
    Now, having said that, it's still one hell of a hardship. I'm a managing editor at a group of weeklies and can't just knock off for a week. Plus I've already been shuffled among three different properties in less than a year with the company. Add to that the fact that my wife hasn't been able to find a job in the last 11 months since I pulled her out of her old job to move for the second time in two years, and I think I've earned the right to be a little pissed off - mostly at myself for not being able to let go of this damn industry.

Draft saved Draft deleted