1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Little League ridiculousness

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Aug 12, 2006.

1. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Well can you answer the question then? I'm wondering too. I honestly rather watch billiards than LL baseball. (I'm 25)

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Check back if you ever have kids.

3. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Why, though, is 11- and 12-year-old baseball international event but 10-year-old softball and 14-year-old baseball and youth football are obscure and receive coverage only in weekly rags or the Lawrence paper?

Is there some special purity to watching 12-year-olds play on a small diamond with 200 foot fences? I just don't get it. At the highest levels of Little League, many of the boys have outgrown the reduced dimensions and your games are all strikeouts, wild pitches and home runs. I just don't get the fascination America has with this one youth event.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

And obviously not employed at a weekly or small daily.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This is nothing.

A couple of years ago we had two area teams competing in a playoff. Team A is up 15-1. Had to forfeit because the coach fucked up and let a kid pitch twice in two days.

6. busuncle

busuncle Member

I agree 100 percent. I go out of my way to avoid it.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Why didn't the coach of the team which failed to put in the player explain the issue to the other team and let them score the tying runs?

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Because the other team would probably try to avoid scoring the tying runs so they could win by forfeit.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Understood -- but that would be the sportsmanlike thing to do from both sides.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Sportsmanlike? Youth sports? Have you not been paying attention?

It's just win, baby!!! ;)

11. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

There's no reason why a commitment to sportsmanship and a commitment to winning cannot coexist, even at the youth level.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

True, but fewer and fewer coaches and parents can manage to balance the two. Just look at the thread on the Pony League kid with the shunt in his head.

Draft saved Draft deleted