1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Little League ridiculousness

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Aug 12, 2006.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

2. How can you get to the regional tournament and forget to get kids into the game? But even worse is to make a "mockery" of the game. Don't quite understand why the pitcher was thrown out of the game, though. He was obviously only doing what he was told.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

This is the line that bugs me most ... "The Portsmouth manager said he also told his players to swing at poor pitches and intentionally miss, to ensure the team could protest."

Lose intentionally to make a point. That's so not cool. You're telling kids not to win on their abilities so they can win via politics. I'm not sure which story is more pathetic, this one or the cancer kid one.

(And P.S. I'm going to copyright 'Fuck'em all' so no one else can use it. :p)

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I think the whole thing is extremely funny.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Bring back Danny Almonte.

6. WS

WS Member

that's why you dont have 14 damn all-stars in a lineup where 9 bat and 5 have to play.

I watch the LLWS and these regionals every year and I'm all for having all the kids play 3 outs and bat. But for crying out loud, don't have an all-star team with more than 11 players. Two subs is all. Then have alternates if someone gets hurt.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

BINGO.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If it's an **All-Star** Team, then we ain't playing happy-happy, joy-joy, patty-cake, goo-goo-golly-everyone-gets-to-play-then-we-all-have-cookies-and-milk anymore.

If it's an "All-Star" team, then play the best players. As much or as little as their talents deserve.

And if you, Ten-Thumbs Tommy, ain't good enough to play, then you ain't good enough to play, just like the 10 other kids on your team who weren't selected to the "All-Star Team."

9. sportymcgee

sportymcgee Member

I'm still waiting for someone, anyone, to explain to me why so many people care about Little League in the first place. It's a joke to me that youth sports are such a big deal.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

People like to see kids making intentional outs. It brings back fond memories for them.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember when the Wide World of Sports broadcast the LLWS title game and that was it. In the early '80s ESPN started covering the other games in the World Series. Now the network shows the regional finals. Like everything else, it's a much bigger deal now.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

What are you, 22?

Draft saved Draft deleted