1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Le Batard hijinks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The more I think about it -- especially with the ESPN statement that the organization didn't know about it -- the more I wonder if the issue was he used company money.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, this.
    I thought the same.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

There is no possible way he used company money without authorization for this. If he did, the suspension would be too light, not an overreaction.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Had a former co-worker in Miami e-mail me from Africa to say she found it extremely hilarious.

There are many problems with this story, namely, Tard -- by the way, it's three words; Dan Le Batard -- has been trying to do something like this for the past month and -- gasp -- all of a sudden, ESPN didn't know anything about this? Um, is anyone listening to what's going out on its airwaves? That and the suspension came down within 12 hours after this happened and yet the SAS fiasco took four, five days to land him on the bench for something 10,000 times more egregious.

5. Riptide

You don't mess with the moneymaker. Corporate mantra.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just more toolishness from the ultimate Miami toolboi.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How it all went down.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/11338297/lebatard-suspension-lebron-james

FWIW, the newspaper ad would have cost about $12,000.

8. Riptide

So we ended up getting more publicity for the ad without paying for the ad and without ever intending to buy the ad than we would have if we'd actually spent money on the ad. Newspapers, man. Throwing yesterday's news in your bushes today, and ultimately giving us for free that for which they refuse to accept pay. ...

To recap, this message was now on the front of the newspaper for free because the newspaper had decided it wouldn't put an ad inside for money -- money I didn't offer for a cause I didn't believe in but was now advocating simply because they made such a show of not taking money I didn't offer.

9. SnarkShark

Kinda sad he had to explain it all to the dimwits who couldn't figure out the joke the first time.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ugh...reading the whole thing is like living inside the mind of the most ridiculous narcissist for about 3 minutes.

"This fun and ridiculous stunt all turned out to be accidental performance art that created media buzz and ratings in a benign way while sticking to my irreverent beliefs about not genuflecting in the cathedral we've made of fun and games."

What a troll.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It wasn't a joke. It was a troll. That's Le Batard's specialty.

12. SnarkShark

You call it trolling, I call it a joke, others might even say it's satire. The point was, people couldn't figure it out when it first happened. Played right into his hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted