1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More layoffs in Riverside, CA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The fun continues. Will it never end?
    From The Pipeline:

More layoffs in Riverside. Sports staff now down to the high teens. Was over 40 two years ago.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Over 40? Doing what?

We peaked at about 48 a decade ago when we had, next to Dallas, more space than anyone in the country.

3. Moderator1

Doing plenty. Covering LA pro teams, college stuff, lots of high school coverage - and an inside crew to handle all of it.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

I thought they were in the market of looking for more people. What gives?

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What is Riverside's circ? Damn. More than 40 in sports is a ton, even in the good days.

Edit: Looks like it's about 140K, which means what, about 160, 180K in the good days? Still...40 in sports seems like a little much.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Five years ago, Riverside was covering all the LA/OC pro sports teams (with the possible exception of the Clippers) home and away. They also covered UCLA and USC home and away and local preps and colleges. For a paper that size, they did a pretty good job.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. JackReacher

I'm sure they did do a pretty good job with 40 people.

8. Moderator1

40 ain't that many for all that coverage. We had 31 at our peak in Richmond and we covered one pro team. The paper covered a lot of ground and did it well. May still do it well, haven't checked in lately. But I know it is not covering all the stuff it used to cover.

With a few editors, the writing staff and a desk large enough to handle all that coverage - I'm surprised 40 actually surprises people.

9. JackReacher

Well, I've never worked in a newsroom for a paper with more than 32K circ, so that helps explain my surprise a bit perhaps.

But hey, if you can employ 40 people in a section, more power to ya. And it sounds like they got the most out of their numbers, so that's good.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How much space do/did they have?

"Covering" a bunch of teams is one thing. But is it sporadic coverage? Daily coverage? Daily coverage including feature and notebook?

We "cover" our NFL team today to the tune of 2.5 open pages in the Monday section (in addition to the cover).

A few years ago we devoted 4.5 pages to them.

Space dictates to a large degree how many people you need.

11. devils_claw

devils_claw Member

Even just three years ago, the P-E was at 180/190K.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

So does how heavily you zone that space. Having 39 columns with six editions can be tougher than 60 columns with one or two editions. Also, look at the geography. Riverside County stretches from the L.A. burbs to the state line, with a gazillion dinky high schools in the boondocks. If I am not mistaken, they delved into San Diego and San Bernardino counties, which are also geographically enormous.

Draft saved Draft deleted