1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More layoffs in Durham, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jul 29, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I agree that Frank is a good guy, but I think what is said about him as a columnist withstands scrutiny.

2. captzulu

captzulu Member

Not to mention that to add that one writing position, they moved two copy editors off an already-thin news desk and into writing positions. It's so pathetic to see management trying to put on a charade for the readers: As long as they see that we have one more person out front, they won't care how few we have in the back.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I would imagine the underlying theory there is that preps content can be largely "user-generated!" inasmuch as some mom attending a football game can call in a few grafs. It's a stupid theory, but then stupidity appears to be rampant in the ranks of upper management (to wit, the notion that anyone in his right mind will pay for a paper full of stories from the mechanic who lives two doors down).

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Heard an interesting name on this one today *** cannot get confirmation. If anybody knows anything, hit me with a PM.

5. SanfordMan

SanfordMan New Member

Here in Sanford (a Paxton paper), we completely shut down our printing press and we are now currently printing CTP (Computer-To-Plate) straight out of Durham. So, a lot of people here were also laid off as a result of Paxton's lovely way to cut expenses.

One guy was our news editor and they felt the need to just simply cut the position altogether. So, it's happening here, too. We're losing people left and right and the layoff thing has people in the newsroom completely on edge.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.com/sports/18-981243.cfm">Frank Dascenzo's retirement becomes official.</a>

<a href="http://heraldsun.southernheadlines.com/sports/18-981242.cfm">Here's his farewell column.</a>

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Anyone want to post this? It's a registration site.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

It's a free registration. Give them the unique visitor and, hopefully, help to save someone else's job.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nah. Paxton isn't that kindhearted. I used BugMeNot.

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Wouldn't they get a unique visitor even if they didn't make me register? I don't want to be on yet another e-mail list. I still get e-mails from the Chicago Tribune all the time even though I've only been to the city once and have made multiple attempts to stop the e-mails.

11. captzulu

captzulu Member

I'm on it and haven't gotten anything from that list. Paxton probably laid off the person in charge of sending out spam.

12. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

I spoke with Frank today and he's doing great. This was a win-win situation for him, and the Herald-Sun made him an offer he couldn't refuse. He'll pop up doing some stuff, which is good for all of us. He's a fine journalist, but a much better person.

Draft saved Draft deleted