1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More layoffs in Detroit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Daily Derelict, Jun 16, 2009.

1. The Daily Derelict

The Daily Derelict New Member

25 freep, 35 News, 90 partnership.

2. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

Last person out ... get the lights.

At the papers ... and Detroit.

Sheesh. This is depressing.
  3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

I love the term layoffs. That's what I was told. Call it like it is: They're being fired, terminated, axed.
  4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

No, 'layoffs' is correct--hits the nail on the head. It has become the worst word of all because it just keeps on happening and always implies good, capable people being shown the door when the other words imply cause.
  5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

These latest have any impact on Sports, @ either or both?

And I agree with TwoGloves: Using "layoffs" these days is an insult to all those factories that would call their laborers back to work when the worst of a downturn ended. Those still unemployed had, I believe, a good shot at returning to their jobs.

If this newspaper downturn ever ends (hahahahahaha!), the last people getting called for job openings will be those kicked to the curb already. Too old, too pricey, too likely to recall the "good ol' days," too savvy in seeing through through the emperor/publishers' new clothes, too professional to write advertorial copy or tweet for Twitter's sake.

Newspapers should just say "X number of jobs have been eliminated, so the people that held them no longer are employed here." Or stick with the stupid "downsized" term.
  6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Member

These are the layoffs announced about a month ago. I believe the Gannett blog (link above) breaks down the losses. Pretty depressing to say the least, especially on the heels of a Pulitzer.
  7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Are we sure? A friend over there had already lost his job as of a few weeks ago.
  8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Member

Well, the blog I read with a posting from last month said final decisions would be made Friday June 19, with people leaving next week. So I think it's the same deal....
  9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

They're called layoffs because it's the correct term. With layoffs, in Gannett, they can offer you termination pay and some benefits. If you're fired, you're out of luck.
  10. chitown

chitown New Member

This is all from that same layoff notice last month. I hear the News lost two more writers in sports. Dave Dye and Joanne Gertsner took the voluntary buyout, plus a deputy SE.
  11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

So who gets the MSU beat? Lacy?
  12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

The manaagers who got laid off are already gone. Guild is still fighting over the other proposed layoffs.
Draft saved Draft deleted