1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More layoffs coming to Raleigh

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SEeditor, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Luke is one of the best hockey writers going, so he'll most definitely be missed. But this is a great thing for the N&O - anyone who knows him knows he has an opinion on everything, and he'll be the tough columnist that Tudor has never really been (or at least in my lifetime). And perhaps this will mean the N&O will have a columnist perspective on the Hurricanes, since Tudor has had no interest in the frozen sport.

2. SanfordMan

SanfordMan New Member

I have said this in other threads. Recently, the Sanford Herald had a series of layoffs as the paper shut down its printing press. We started the CTP (computer to plate) transaction and are now printing our papers out of Durham. Sucks for the sports guys because their new deadline is 10:45 Monday-Thursday and Saturdays. On Fridays it is 11:15. So, our high school football coverage is not going to be too hot on Saturday mornings. Apparently, we'll have follow-up stories and tease to the website for longer, more in-depth coverage of the football games.

I've heard through the grapevine that High Point and Henderson will eventually begin the CTP transaction, too, and will be printing out of Durham, as well.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I am, too. I know Luke will do a good job as a columnist - I have never really been too taken with Caulton Tudor. Hopefully, that will now improve.

Chip will do a solid job with the Whalercanes, and I had seen him among the N&O team during playoff runs in the ESA.

I know Tysiac is a solid, solid reporter. Given that he will be covering NCSU, does that mean he'll be based in Raleigh? Otherwise, it make zero sense for a Charlotte-based writer to be working in Raleigh.

Does Stan Olson's coverage helping out with Clemson, Appalachian State and the Chickens affect his helping out Charles Chandler and David Scott with the Carolina Panthers?

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Ken has always been based out of Raleigh.

5. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

amen to that brother, from someone on the inside of the heartless chain...

6. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

Maybe the one paper in NC that will survive: a weekly in Southport that has been first class for many, many years ...

http://carrborocommons.org/2008/06/27/greater-than-good-the-state-port-pilot/#more-834

Draft saved Draft deleted