1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More layoffs at the Los Angeles Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Dec 16, 2009.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Apologies if I missed this elsewhere. More layoffs at the L.A. Times including at least two in sports according to LA Observed:

"Pete Thomas covered outdoors recreation — fishing, surfing, adventure and stuff like that — for a good chunk of his 30 years at the Los Angeles Times. He posted yesterday at Facebook that he's among the layoffs. Sports staffer Mark Medina sent the newsroom a note saying he was leaving."

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2009/12/more_names_of_la_times_de.php

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Seems like Medina just joined the sports staff, no?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Mark interned in Richmond in 2008, then went to LA.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Way to eat your young. Stay classy, LA.

Good luck to Pete and Mark in whatever their future might bring. :)

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Pete was there a long time and did very good on the outdoors stuff.

One of the photographers/photo editors I worked with many years ago in San Bernardino. Great guy and photog. It just never ends.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Mark was a METPro intern. That will make a difference for him.

And, the way this is written makes it sound like he has another gig, or other plans. I'm sure he'll be fine.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I hope so.

More and more, whenever these layoff threads include people saying "Well . . .he/she will land on their feet!" or "Lot of good people there. I hope they all land on their feet." My response is "Where? HOW?"

Journalists are running out of safe landing places. Many of the non-journalism ones are getting filled with people.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

10 months after the Rocky closed, lots of "good people" who should have "landed on their feet" still haven't. Lots.

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Agreed. The entire "land on your feet" scenario is wishful thinking. Sadly, I know very few people who have been laid off and recovered to find good jobs. Or even decent jobs.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mile, I can go further back than that and at a few more places. It's just fucked up and I don't see it improving. As long as papers can continue to publish with less personnel, they are going to make cuts.
    Sort of like the way radio is doing away with disc jockey and all-news normats are becoming canned operations and TVfolk are requiring guys to take pictures edit and write their own stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted