1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More layoffs at MG

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsGuyBCK, Dec 6, 2011.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Hearing that a long-time shooter for one of Media General's North Carolina community papers was given his layoff notice today ... he's out the door on Dec. 16 ... anyone else hearing anything?

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

There was a lot of buzz in a Facebook group for Tampa Tribune alumni that the hammer was to come down again -- yes, again -- this week, with as many as 30 from the newsroom to go. Fortunately, that does not appear to have happened. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything about this particular MG property.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Happy holidays. Scripps, MediaNews with buyouts ...

Companies shedding employees and payroll ahead of the end of the year.

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

... some some corporate VPs can make their bonus, I bet ...

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Tampa continues to be a total mess and a financial drain on the rest of the company. I feel for the employees down there. It's not their fault. But that is not a financially solvent property.

6. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

It's a shame how much money Tampa has lost for MG. It's even bigger shame that more good people are probably going to lose their jobs.

7. DKIA

DKIA Member

Heard the axe was supposed to fall next week and that it's unlikely Tampa will be the only one affected.

8. writingump

writingump Member

Got to save bow tie money for J. Stewart, you know.

9. Prospero

Prospero Member

For what it's worth.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/media/content/tension-over-impending-layoffs-sends-rumors-flying-tampa-tribune-wfla-ch-8

10. TheWhiskeyDiaries

TheWhiskeyDiaries New Member

Good thoughts go out to everyone that will be impacted by the changes at the Trib. Life is better. Trust me.

11. Prospero

Prospero Member

It has begun. Likely to go on through tomorrow.

12. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

165 in Tampa today alone, according to the paper. Not known how many in the newsroom. Story confirms layoffs at other MG papers as well.

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2011/dec/12/165-layoffs-under-way-at-tampa-tribune-sister-pape-ar-333846/

Draft saved Draft deleted