1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More layoffs at Las Vegas Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tierra, Dec 1, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hear, hear. He was perfectly dialed into the gambling scene, placed a few wagers himself and shared stories about it (which, imo, added legitimacy to that beat, for that town; forget the betting-on-sports threads we've had here before). I really hope that maybe you're hearing wrong.

2. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

She did. The Wall Street Journal. I should know, she's my cousin. And I think I'M the writer in the family...

3. MrMojave

MrMojave Member

Ron Kantowski will start work at the RJ on Dec. 28.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

That is great.
    I hope the Las Vegas Sun is duly embarrassed at their lack of class in letting such an accomplished columnist go (obviously because of seniority and salary).
    Good for Kantowski and good for the Review-Journal. Shame on the Las Vegas Sun.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm glad for Kantowski, one, but also because this will hurt the Sun beancounters way more than if they laid him off and he just went away.

6. MrMojave

MrMojave Member

Does it really hurt the Sun, though? Aside from the black eye and him being on a competitor's Web site, if people buy the RJ to read Ron Kantowski, the Sun makes as much money as they would if people had bought the Sun to read Ron Kantowski.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Come on, Fredrick, of course he understands. Understanding is one thing. Giving a shit while cashing the bonus checks is something else.

8. Fredrick

I really don't think the publisher does understand. If the publisher thought Kantowski was as good as he really is, he would not be able to possibly let him go. The publisher I believe thinks anybody can do the job as Kantowski did it, which is fricking absurd.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with Kantowski's skill, I'm guessing. It likely has way more to do with the fact that the Sun is switching/narrowing focus, and sports will be less a part of said focus. Same thing is happening at The Washington Times. It matters not how talented a sports columnist is if you decide you don't need a sports columnist.

10. Fredrick

Check the Website of that newspaper. It doesn't look like sports is being de-emphasized. It would be interesting to know the particulars. Let's say they did not need a columnist anymore. I would think after being there so long he'd have been willing to cover some of the things they appear to be covering if you look at that Website.

Draft saved Draft deleted