1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More layoffs - Abilene to take over printing for San Angelo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smash Williams, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

San Angelo will lay of 16 full-time and 13 part-time employees as the paper shifts its press operations to Abilene, 90 miles away.

Both are Scripps papers. San Angelo has a circulation of 25K/28K while Abilene is 30K/40K.

2. bob

bob Member

Another sign of the times. The Boston Herald recently moved its printing operations to Chicopee, 100 miles away. The nearby (Quincy) Patriot Ledger and Brockton Enterprise (Gatehouse) closed printing plants and are now being printed at the Boston Globe, necessitating such early deadlines that many game stories don't even make the next morning's paper.
  3. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

While I don't think all readers out there are the brightest bulbs in the world, I felt this comment on the San Angelo Web site about the upcoming changes was well put:

Posted by housemouse on October 16, 2008 at 4:39 p.m.

"Maybe readership is shrinking because there is less news printed. I see more traffic accidents just driving around town than ever get mentioned in the SA Times. There used to be a brief summary of crimes around town by neighborhood. That's gone too. Now, if nobody dies, the crimes don't get reported. We see plenty of stories about what some Sunday school is doing, but not much about things that affect people's lives directly. I don't know why this is so, but maybe if the Times carried more real news, people would be more willing to buy subscriptions."

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

And there will be less news since plates now have a 180-mile round trip to make in the dead of night, which will adversely affect deadlines (9 p.m. push on a Friday night, anyone). God help them if they get an ice storm or something in those parts.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Plates have a round trip? Nah. I would bet that page files are sent over the Internet via FTP or e-mail (probably the former) and then outputted in Abilene, either to film output from an imagesetter for transfer to plate or directly to a platesetter, skipping the imagesetter entirely.
  6. few, if any, places use film anymore. last two stops have been direct to plate.

and bob, i thought the ledger/enterprise still were printing late morning, even after the site switch?
Draft saved Draft deleted