1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Kornheiser

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 18, 2010.

1. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Not to put more fuel on this fire. Well, yes, to do that, this happened:

Now, in this specific instance, the driver's at fault for being reckless and dangerous. With that said, I hate the kind of hyperbole and generalizations that stem from stories like this and anecdotal encounters. Have I been run off the road for no reason whatsover? Yes. There are also thousands of cars that haven't. Have I seen fellow riders behave reckless and put themselves in danger? Sure, and I've seen many others who haven't.
    It's extremely easy for cyclists to get mad at drivers, because drivers have the power to kill with one false maneuver, lapse or instance of rage. Cyclists also can put themselves in a position of danger. The point is, there's a mutual responsibility out on the road for drivers and cyclists. Live with each other, respect each others' space. Share the goddamn road like adults, and chill.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It used to be a mix of somewhat considerate people and a few motorists who think manners are fine as long as it's someone else concerned over them.

My current area supposedly has more consideration for cyclists. No doubt there are more bike lanes than a couple of moves ago, but I've seen enough motorists who cut two lanes to think that if they're that shortsighted when driving than I seriously question whether they'll show any consideration toward cyclists.

I hope to be a position to find out again soon.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What I REALLY need to see is more ticketing of guys who turn right from the third lane over.
    A NYC trademark.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Bikes are like mail carriers; they are a pain in the ass when you are driving, but you deal with them.

You just pass them when you get a chance.

Although I would love to see each area have a 30-40 mile stretch of road widened by four feet on each side for a bike lane. I would be scared to death riding a pedal bike on Virginia roads.

5. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I'll second Tony K.'s exit being necessary, Spirited.

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I ride my Huffy 5 speed on the sidewalk on the rare occasion I take the bike out.

I realize how dangerous this is to pedestrians and yet I do it anyways.

Please take me to jail.

7. If you don't like it, don't listen. Then it's like he's off the air.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Would it be OK if I made a hissing noise and pretended that it was static, instead?

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Cars already get tickets when they blow through stop signs at 20 mph.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Really? All of them? Every time?

I'll sure sleep easier knowing that.

Draft saved Draft deleted