1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Jets Media Drama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Sep 22, 2012.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I honestly can't even follow the story. Reporter takes a picture of a player to show the player talks to media even though he says he doesn't talk to media, and then something was off the record or it wasn't because how can you be off the record in a locker room, and then the player (with or without a shirt, unclear and irrelevant) talked to female reporters, and the Jets regret the incident and will try harder. At what I'm not sure.

Anyone want to take a shot at clarifying this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/jets-lb-bart-scott-reporter-get-into-argument-need-to-be-separated-after-photo-attempt/2012/09/21/86137f84-0420-11e2-9132-f2750cd65f97_story.html

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/22/reporter-defends-taking-bart-scotts-picture-in-jets-locker-room/

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Sure. I'll take a crack.

Rules are rules, and it sounds like Leberfeld technically stayed within them... but he's being dickish taking photos of Scott talking to other reporters. There are certain unofficial rules of decorum, too.

So a guy who has a media boycott going talks to a couple of female reporters informally, and Leberfeld dickishly tries to take pictures of it... to the point where one of the reporters got peeved.

Ask yourself what Leberfeld is trying to say, exactly. Yeaaaah....

3. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

As a rule, I usually disagree with everything Bart Hubbuch ever says, always, but he was right with one tweet yesterday: "Very high on my list of journalism no-nos: Provoking an incident and then trying to make yourself the story." Leberfeld ended up on sports radio yesterday, right after the incident, to defend a poorly-reasoned story. But that's what happens when you don't have an editor to report to, I suppose.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Media boycott?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Boycott sounds a bit too harsh. All the Jets players are happy to talk to Ines.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What if Rex wants some feet shots?

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Those last two posts are pure gold.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Many players will say they are not talking to the media. And that's fine. I've had those very same players talk to me just to talk. No note taking, just talking. I'm sure there are others who have experienced the same thing.
    As long as said player is not giving an interview to me and only me, I've never had a problem with other scribes. I've also never had a problem with a non-media talking player talking to another reporter. Again, I want to emphasize talking.
    There is a difference.

9. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

That's pretty much it. And it feels like Leberfeld's objective was to blur that difference and make Scott look like a bad guy for refusing to give quotes.

Draft saved Draft deleted