1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More interview/salary questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Were you just going to be a freelancer than?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No. Way. I started at like $19K. I didn't top 30 until I got my second job, five years later. And this was only four years ago.

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

I take a probably perverse pride in having started in this business making $15K -- and that was in 1998, not 1968.

4. Howww?

I thought Conrad Black was a nice guy!

Actually, no, I didn't, but I thought he paid reasonable amounts that year, and I thought you were there.

No no?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

JESUS christ. You've been doing this for 10 years?

I'm going to go swallow a gun barrel.

6. ltrain1127

ltrain1127 Member

I just topped $30K for the first time last October.
    Was making $27K, got hired at $28K with 6-month raise to $30K, then the sports editor quits two days before I am supposed to start. I ask if they would consider me for the position, and they did and I got the position at significantly more than $30K.
    Awesome, aawesome, awesome day. Got a promotion and a raise before I ever started.

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing.

Sir Brown (which is how I address my poop, by the way): When the Post started up, some folks got paid a lot of money. Some of us did not. Although to the paper's credit, when I did get a raise, it might have been the biggest raise by percentage in the history of sportswriting. And I wouldn't have paid me more than $15K to start, either. Hell, I felt lucky they let me in the building.

8. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

In a major colelge beat and not breaking 30,000 yet for some reason perhaps bad negotiation 5 years ago. Way to get a raiseless promotion from preps isn't it?

Umm...I think I am underpaid. It's a sore spot with me too. Fuck the biz.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

At bigger papers, I always figured they should pay the preps and small-colleges writers more, because fewer people would want to do those things. But if you offered one of those guys a pro beat, would he really say no if it didn't come with a raise attached? Even more so when promoting from within for a columnist -- would one of your writers say, fuhgeddaboudit, I need a big boost in pay? No, most likely, hr or she would be glad for the duty.

I know that hiring from outside can throw all this out of whack, but if you stay in-house, does the person have any real leverage if they want a better role?

I'm not advocating this, I'm just wondering...

10. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

Using vacation time as a bargaining chip is a sensible move. Some employers can't tweak the systems and don't want to award off-the-books time, so be aware that it might not pan out.

When I was a hiring editor, I occasionally would put a new hire on the payroll a few weeks early to goose the number a bit. It was a little extra buckage in the hire's pocket at an expense-laden time (moving costs and such) and was budget-friendly, as the position was already funded.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yeah, my last SE did that for me. They couldn't pay for "moving expenses," per se, but I got an extra $500 out of it (which I sorely needed at the time.) He also got me a day or two of OT pay my first two weeks, so I got some extra cash that way, too. ... There's always ways around the rules, if management is going to be that cheap about it.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You or I would call it that. They wouldn't. Pay jump would be nice but whatever. Need health coverage.

Draft saved Draft deleted