1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More interview/salary questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Apr 3, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was just notified that I am a candidate for a gig and now I have a ton of newbie questions before making contact with the editor again.

I was told the salary was: $XX, xxx per year.

Do I have any negotiating power? It could be considered an entry level position; but a good one at that.

The editor said if I were hired I would not have my moving expenses paid- which sucks because it's a little further away from the hometown than I would like; which is why the salary is important.

Is there anyway to get more money out of them without sounding like I am only interesting in money?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Anyone? Bueller?

3. mojo20205

mojo20205 Member

Same thing just happened to me.

1. The editor does not care that you have to move a little farther than you would have liked. You threw that chip out when you applied for the job.

2. Even if this is your dream job, don't let them know it. Let them think you have options. If they like you they will bargain with you. If not, the kid from the community college down the street will do it foe less money.

3. Money is money. Would the editor work for nothing? Doubt it. Be honest and tell him that $xx,xxx is a good start, but because of some things (i.e., the distance from home), you will need just a little bit more to take the job. You won't get that much more, but you'll get a little more.

4. Act and conduct yourself like you are the ONLY candidate. Listen, you know you're good, right? Now take a step back and try to play agent for someone that's good at what he does. They won't give you money because you hope they will. Sell yourself.

I would just be very honest about the money. Tell him/her that you are going to come in and work your ass off. Tell them they are getting someone that would run through a wall -- that type of stuff. Then say, "That's why I'm worth $xx,xxx."

Good luck with the job.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Wow. Two XXs to the left of the comma. You must not be getting a sportswriting gig.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Be polite but don't be bashful. You're well within reason to haggle over money; the biggest raise you'll ever get at most jobs is the one you get before you walk in the door. Some bosses have wiggle room built in to that first number, others don't. Obviously be prepared for him/her to say that XX is the best they can do, in which case if you have concerns about vacation time or such things, maybe you can bring those up and get them tweaked.

6. Mira

Mira Member

Playthrough has some good points. Be sure to use vacation time as a bargaining tool. Maybe if you get a few extra days, if not a week, that might cover your moving expenses. Shop around for moving expenses, too. I got some pretty good deals when I had to hire moving trucks.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most entry level offers are take it or leave it... Not paying anything for the move is bullshit, but it happens a lot in this business, even sometimes at bigger papers...

If you could give us a range of the pay and how far you have to move we might be able to better gauge if you're getting screwed or if you should jump at it.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Its a 14-hour drive.

I might be able to do it in one day. Maybe not.

And the pay is in the 30s.

9. Mizzougrad96

Take it. Don't ask for anything.

10. Mizzougrad96

What circ is the paper?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can always ask for more. Doesn't hurt. Just don't make it the first thing you do.

If you like the job and things are going well and it's not a deal breaker bring it up near the end of the interview.

Don't wait till they offer you the job, though.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I have had some basic negotiation training.

First off, are you a candidate or have you been offered the job? If they mention salary first, that's a good opportunity to ask them if it is an offer of employment.

Make salary that last thing you talk about. Get the job offer first. That way you have established that they want you and you are negotiating from an advantageous position. It may very well be that their first offer is their highest offer, but if that is the case then they're simply using bad tactics. Since these are newspaper editors, I wouldn't be surprised. It never hurts to ask for more, and to attach reasons to your request (the move will be costly, cost of living is greater over here, etc.), but don't ever give ultimatums. The worst they can say is no, but be persistent until you sense you have truly reached the limit.

Draft saved Draft deleted