1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Impressive: 600 HR or 3000 hits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OklahomaSports, Aug 16, 2011.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Some of you people act as if ESPN AND HBO are obligated to give equal coverage to everybody. They are in BUSINESS to make money.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Again, nobody said that. Just pointing out that they went insane covering the less-impressive accomplishment.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to say it, I think the coverage of Jeter compared to Thome is pretty defensible. Really, 500 home runs is the big milestone. Six-hundred, in baseball lore, is more like 3,500 hits. A nice milestone, but not quite the same. And everyone has home run fatigue at this point anyway.

Also, Jeter is the first Yankee to reach 3,000 hits. He has five World Series titles. The Yankees are the most storied franchise in American sports, and he has been a Yankee since Day 1 of his professional career.

It's fair.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It may be awhile before we get another member of the 600 HR club.

Pujols likely gets there, but then probably not another chance until you get to Teixiera, Cabrera and Howard.

Active players over 350 HR:

Vlad Guerrero 446
    Chipper Jones 446
    Albert Pujols 438
    Jason Giambi 420
    Andruw JOnes 414
    Paul Konerko 392
    David Ortiz 373
    Adam Dunn 365
    Lance Berkman 355

Mark Teixiera 307
    Ryan Howard 279
    Miguel Cabrera 270

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Well, considering it was over 40 years between Aaron and Bonds reaching 600 (they were the third and fourth members of the 600 club), I'd say there's at least a decent shot the next guy to 600 after Pujols isn't even in junior high yet.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Umm Howard will be 32 in November. He has absolutely no chance or very, very little. He's a bad defender and he isn't that great of a hitter so when he declines (may already be starting) he won't remain a starter very long.

Fielder should be on the list. Just 27 and will have 230 or so by the end of the season.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Awesome.

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Alex Rodriguez is close to joining th3 3000-600 club...less than 230 away in hits...Getting to 700 home runs seems a long shot at this point.

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

You're crazy. Only 74 more HRs and he's there.

10. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Really? After this year he will just need 20-25 HR's for three years.

11. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Aaron has 394 more RBIs, 112 more runs, 101 more doubles, and 74 more home runs. Their BA, OBP and slugging are all relatively equal.

Then there's the whole playoffs thingy. Mays OPS: .660, Aaron OPS: 1.116

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would also take a very hard look at Mike Stanton at the Marlins to someday hit 600 home runs.

He will have 60 home runs before his 22nd birthday, and just looks like a complete beast at the plate.

That is my long shot choice.

Draft saved Draft deleted