1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MORE help for class - UPDATED with more begging

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, you all get teaching credit.

Monday, we're talking about the good old days when communications tools weren't as advanced as they are today.
    I spent much of the morning with Google, trying to find pictures of people crowded outside newspaper buildings and what not to watch for Series score updates.
    Only one I found was this:

http://toto.lib.unca.edu/findingaids/photo/ball/jpeg/ball1802.jpg

Help?!? I know there are others out there. Any links anyone can provide will be much appreciated.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Re: MORE help for class

No links here, but is this just print? Have to think there are a bunch of crowded-around-the-radio shots out there.

And an interesting (to me, anyway) aside about the new technology: Since a hometown kid pitched for the Cards in the 2006 World Series, the entire town turned into St. Louis fans. We were on 4-12s that week, of course, and there's no radio/TV/internets inside the factory. So, to keep track of the final game, I fired up the pitch-by-pitch updates on my cellphone and relayed them over our own radio system. Twenty-first century technology, perhaps ... but in practice, not all that different than "watching" a teletype.

3. Moderator1

That's pretty cool. I will use that.

I know there's lots of pics out there. Will keep searching but also appreciate any help.

4. badmoon

badmoon Member

Here's one, from a Japanese postcard, apparently. (The internets is a weird place.)

http://www.prestigecollectiblesauction.com/site/images_items/Item_735_1.jpg

Text: The scene depicted on this postcard is the Broad Street office of the Philadelphia Telegraph newspaper during the 1915 World Series between the Philadelphia Phillies and Boston Red Sox. During each game, the Telegraph displayed a large sign containing the lineups, line score and play-by-play action of the game in progress. Tens of thousands of Philadelphians jammed the street around the display board, hanging on every pitch. Alas, the Red Sox won the World Series in five games. You can tell from the result that this was a really long time ago! The caption text, printed in Japanese, describes the scene.

5. Moderator1

You are THE BEST. Thanks. Exactly what I want and I'll take more. Still searching.
    I've typed in so many words in the search engines. Bringing up some interesting stuff.

6. badmoon

badmoon Member

Here’s another, outside the Lakeland (Fla.) Ledger.

http://www.floridamemory.com/PhotographicCollection/photo_exhibits/images/baseball/rc10743_.jpg

Text: This scene at the Lakeland Ledger office, on October 4, 1924, was a familiar one throughout the land at daily newspaper offices during World Series week. Crowds would gather to watch a pitch-by-pitch enactment of the game as news arived on the Associated Press wire. The chief board operator, by means of an electromagnet behind the metal "playing field" would cause a lighweight metal ball to roll from the pitcher's mound to home plate, and then to the appropriate spots on the field. One or more assistants, as needed, would slide discs representing runners along the base paths. An announcer with a megaphone would describe the action.
    The score here is 2 to 0, in favor of the New York Giants, after five innings of the first game of the 1924 Series. The Giants won that game, 4 to 3, in 12 innings, but the Washington Senators finally won the Series, four games to three.

7. Moderator1

You get an A.
    What are you typing into the search engine?

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

M1:

Don't know if there are still pix or YouTube of this but in Bull Durham the old country boy announcer was doing a recreation of a road game.
    Also, in Gone With The Wind, the scene where people were clutching for the casualty lists from Gettysburg might serve as REALLY old school ditribution example.

Don't need the teaching credit, BTW.

9. Moderator1

"And this one came from SockPuppet ****"

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Crowd_gathers_for_updates_to_1919_World_Series.JPG

Here's one from the 1919 World Series (sorry Buck!) showing fans at Times Square watching a play-by-play on a billboard.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Don't forget the 'zipper' in Times Square, moddy.

12. Moderator1

Refresh me?

Draft saved Draft deleted