1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More gone in Bakersfield...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bp6316, Dec 4, 2008.

1. bp6316

bp6316 Member

Didn't get a chance to dig through and see if anyone mentioned this elsewhere, and didn't see anything on a quick search.

2. bp6316

bp6316 Member

I hear one from sports. Not sure who though.

3. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I flew across the country in August to interview for a position with The Californian. I was not hired. I have no idea what I would be doing now if I was hired back then.

My sympathies to Tony Lacava and Ross Priest, who have done plenty recently with a smaller staff. Guess it just got a little smaller.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Does anyone know who took the hit here?

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

This news sucks. I'm curious to know who's out at TBC. I'm hoping that the good people I know there are not out of a job.

6. bp6316

bp6316 Member

From what I'm told, Simon Samano, hired three months ago or so, was the sports guy. Three folks from copy desk, a city editor, a metro reporter and the managing editor took a buyout. The rest were from out of the newsroom.

7. Garner

Garner Member

Just stumbled upon this thread and the news makes me sick. Samano's a great guy (for a soccer fan) and was doing some good work in his limited time there. Wishing him and everyone else the best of luck in a rough situation.

8. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Crap crap crap. And to think we were just talking about my layoff two days ago. That kid can flat out write.

Draft saved Draft deleted