1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More golf rules stupidity

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Aug 22, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The punishment is the same. First time, any time you miss a pro-am, it's DQ.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just to be clear: I'm a huge golf fan who believes in the rules of golf but this is flat out dumb. I mean, seriously dumb.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

So how about a three-strikes rule to rule out the habitual offenders and those who simply made a mistake. Pro-am only.

Strike 1: You lose half of your earnings from where you finish in the tournament, lose 1/4 any FedEx points.
    Strike 2: You lose all of your earnings from where you finish in the tournament, lose 1/2 FedEx points.
    Strike 3: You're DQ'd, doesn't reset to Strike 2 for five years, doesn't reset to Strike 1 for 10 years.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I agree with the rule in principle, just not the application.
    I'm sure Tiger would blow the thing off every weekend given the chance.
    But if a guy has a long history of no missteps one time shows up five minutes late with a legitimate reason, he needs a mulligan.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Can you imagine all the alpha types these pro-ams attract? Guys bragging to the pro about how much they make, bragging to the others in the group about their golf game, who else they've played with.
    I'm sure there are pros out there who will describe the pro-ams as the only five hours of the week they actually feel like they're working.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My uncle was a big-time executive with Colgate for many years before retirementy. He played with Alice Cooper in a pro-am in Arizona years ago. Said he was a great guy, told the other guys in the foursome it was cool to call him Vince.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I read 'integrity' as 'quality', so I think it does affect the integrity of the competition. It's taken out one of the world's best players for what was an off-course infraction.

While I get the need for the sponsors to get to play with the world's best, I see Mickelson's point. Make the punishment serious enough to be a deterrent, but not so strong that it disqualifies the player. It just isn't fair to let other players benefit from his Furyk's DQ when the only reason he had a chance to be DQ'd is because he's better than them in the first place.

I can't think of a rule in any other sport that governs players' non-competitive obligations, but only applies to the sport's best players. It'd be like suspending an All-Star for a month because he ducked out of the Home Run Derby.

8. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Years ago J.C. Snead, for example, and even nonentities such as Smokin' Joe Porter, showed up for the pro-am bucks and proceded to treat their partners like dungballs. That's the behavior that should be penalized, not the occasional late arrival.

But then, a sandtrap filled with people and loose garbage doesn't make sense to me either. What do I know.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Spirited is...Tim Finchem:

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=5517487

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Some think the current FedEx points system is stupid, so this thread is appropriate for the following link, I think.

Here's a new way to revamp the scoring system. Interesting concept....

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,2020325,00.html/?eref=sihp

Draft saved Draft deleted