1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More golf rules stupidity

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Hey! Another series for Golf Channel. "After Big Break XIII, stay tuned for the Foot Wedge Classic!"

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The Tour always has a pool of players in the tournament, but not eligible for the pro-am. Marc Leishman played with Furyk's group.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I wish the sense of indignation people had for stupid golf rules carried over into the real world.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Every sports has its share of stupid rules.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In this case, you'd think the law of common sense would prevail and Furyk would get the benefit of the doubt. He did not intentionally skip the pro-am; he simply overslept, arrived a touch late and had every intention of participating.

But then again, common sense and pro sports leadership are seldom used in the same sentence.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. Like if you don't use your turn signal, someone cal call the cops and they can later arrest you and take your license away for a year.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Did he call ahead to say he was running a little late? Maybe he did, I don't know. If he didn't, what can you do? Tee times are tee times, whether it's a tournament round or a shotgun pro-am.

If this was John Daly maybe there would probably be more of a sentiment like "he's still a bum and he got what he deserved." Should Furyk, a good guy, get more leeway? That's not how it's supposed to work.

And how many of us would get away with the "overslept" or "my cell phone died" excuse?

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

$1,500? That's a Nationwide pro-am price tag. They pay a LOT more than that, Hondo, for a PGA Tour pro-am.

That aside, the point about Fluff is a good one and Furyk would be one of the first to recognize the importance of the pro-am to the health of the Tour.

Five years ago, this happened to Retief Goosen at the Nissan Open. The night before, his agent threw a party for media in the clubhouse at Riviera to celebrate Goosen's new endorsement contract with Grey Goose vodka.

At the time, Goosen was the reigning U.S. Open champion and at the top of his game. His agent said this would be the only chance for the media to catch him before the tournament began.

As it turned out, she wasn't kidding. Goosen overslept and missed his pro-am time, Hello, DQ. Goodbye, Retief, who was chastened by the experience.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Actually, that is how it often works in the real world.

First-time offenders are treated differently than chronic lawbreakers. A child that seldom messes up is treated different than one who is always in trouble. A student who attends every class and at least tries his/her best gets a break a truant might not.

Does Furyk have a history of blowing off pro-ams? I would think not, as his reputation is near-impeccable. It sounds as if he would have been there for at least 15 holes of an 18-hole event. He probably would have even been more effusive with his playing partners because he was late.

Very few things in the world are arbitrary. We are not talking about improving a lie, or anything that would give Furyk a competitive advantage in a real tournament. It's a freaking pro-am, which, while important, shouldn't be enough to disqualify a player who had every intention of being there and who made a legitimate effort to attend.

Again, in cases like these common sense should have prevailed.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Phil Mickelson says it's a bullshit rule:

“If you’re going to have a rule that does
    not apply to everybody, because not every¬
    body play the pro-am, you cannot have it
    affect the competition,” he said.
    “It’s got to be a different penalty. It can’t
    be disqualification if it only applies to half the
    field [that plays in the pro-am]. So this rule
    — it’s not protecting the players. It’s not pro¬
    tecting the sponsors. It applies to only half the
    field and yet it affects the integrity of the com¬
    petition.
    “I cannot disagree with it more. I have no
    idea how the commissioner let this rule go
    through. It’s ridiculous.”

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That makes no sense to me. Yeah, the rule only applies to half the field, because there aren't 125 pros in a pro-am. So what? Rules in a bunker only affect guys in a bunker, too.

I'm not sure it affects the integrity of the competition. It takes a guy out of the field. If Furyk was around No. 100 in the FedExCup points, he'd be in danger of losing a lot more than just a spot in this week's event. But he would only have himself to blame. "The integrity of the competition" means obeying all the rules for the sake of every competitor, like them or not.

And yes, the rule is protecting the sponsors. The people who help you to make such enormous jack playing golf. A rule has to be there, obviously, or you'd have pros ducking out whenever they felt like it and making bullshit excuses. Yes, Furyk is a stand-up guy, but the rule is the rule. Not sure if Mickelson even makes those comments if it's a less popular player.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted