1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More golf rules stupidity

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Aug 22, 2010.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't want to speak for the people who wrote this rule, but it's possible one reason for it is that if you allow one practice aid, then you have to allow all practice aids, which would include weighted clubs, and that could cause confusion regarding the number of clubs a player is permitted to carry.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The rule is a complete joke, but being a rule, so be it.

That said, if a competitor or official had called it, I wouldn't think as much about it. But for some jerkoff with no involvement to call it, that's bullshit and said jerkoff needs to be located and have the shit beat out of them by Inkster with her weighted club.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Think of it this way, someone is watching the LPGA. Probably the most publicity the tour has had this year.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This. Inkster has only herself to blame. (And I'm not a fan of the TV viewer-as-ref, but that doesn't take the blame off Inkster.)

And whatever happened to swinging two clubs at once to stay loose? I do that every time I play. No need to carry weights or whatever else in the bag.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I agree completely.

6. Remind me next time some umpire blows a call at first to dial up the MLB offices and point that out to someone in charge, that way they'll get things straightened out tout de suite! Why hasn't anyone thought of this before, sheesh, replay my ass.

If an official didn't see it, it didn't happen, right Mali ref?

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yeah, apply that logic of letting TV viewers call the NFL, NBA or MLB about seeing an official blow a call or get a ruling wrong. Golf is so fucking petty,

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

By the way, the talk that "Inkster should have known the rule" -- while technically correct -- loses some of its power when we take into account that the violation had to be called in by a viewer. That would seem to indicate that none of the players in Inkster's group and none of the officials that are generally on just about ever tee in a tournament knew the rule. They certainly couldn't have missed seeing Inkster do it.

Also, she attached a weight to her club. She wasn't swinging a "training club," so that also removes that argument.

9. trifectarich

It's a bit different if you're refereeing a basketball game and everything takes place within a very small area of space right in front of you, as opposed to 200 acres (or more) of a golf course.

10. That's such B.S.; each group has a marshal, a rules official and a bunch of other stuffed shirts. It's their job to apply the rules and call out violations.

11. trifectarich

That's not even close to being accurate. Of the 150 or so events played every year on the PGA Tour, Champions Tour, LPGA and Nationwide Tour, the tournaments that have a rules official with each group probably numbers in the single digits. And if you've ever witnessed the ineptitude of volunteers, who have enough trouble keeping a score for three players, you'd realize they're as qualified to oversee rulings as I am to play center in the NBA.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What tri said. Only the majors have armies of officials. At most events it's a couple of guys in golf carts answering calls on radios, not lurking waiting to bust someone.

And even if the usually inept volunteer/marshal sees a violation, you think they're going to call out a Hall of Famer right there on the tee box?

Draft saved Draft deleted