1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More golf rules stupidity

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Aug 22, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

TV viewer gets Juli Inkster disqualified.
    Total bullshit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/TV-viewer-busts-Juli-Inkster-gets-her-DQ-d-from?urn=golf-264211

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know the PGA Tour banned that practice a couple years ago... ouch

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

TV viewer aside, the actual rule itself is pretty stupid.

It was a 30-minute backlog at the hole. You have got to be able to keep loose during that time. It is not hurting any integrity of the game to allow someone to use a freaking weighted donut on a club in between shots while on a bit of a delay.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Agreed. Stupid rule, stupider application.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's a competitive advantage. She wasn't the only one who was backed on a tee. You can't hit practice balls, putt, chip, etc., or use a swing aid. 8 year olds in junior golf know this rule. Someone in the World Golf Hall of Fame should also know it. Oh, yeah, ... Inkster is in the Hall of Fame.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The rule may be BS, but it's still on the books. She should have known better.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If they allow everyone to have a weighted donut in their bag, how does any one player get an advantage.

Yes, it's a rule. As spnited's thread title says, it's a stupid rule. Even more stupid is that people watching on television can call the tournament to report the rules violation.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Rules like this one, and the Dustin Johnson farce, strike me as a byproduct of aristocrats wanting to keep the game just that much more inaccessible to the masses. Every time you think you can get into that game you find out there's so much more bullshit than just counting up how many times everyone swung the club, and I don't think the lords of golf mind that at all.

And I bet the person who called in the rules violation will go to work this morning, where he will deny a patient's insurance claim because she used a signature on Form 10B(1)(a) when the document clearly said "Print name here."

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I repeat, total bullshit.

The rule is bullshit and the fact that some asshole watching on TV can call a violation on a player totally destroys any credibility golf's esoteric bullshit rules have.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

This thread would have been perfectly titled w/o the words "more" and "rules."

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

This.

Unless every professional sport is prepared to open up the phone lines for viewers during live broadcasts, and actually allow those viewers to dictate what rules are enforced and when, golf needs to back off.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was out there today - same backup at the same hole. You would think there would be a clock (say 15 minutes) after which a player could loosen up again.
    Isn't it a competetive disadvantage to players to make them wait that long? It's not like it is their fault the people up ahead are taking a long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted