1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Gannett cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Jun 21, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yet, per your sig, "I enjoy watching newspapers self-destruct"? There's a lot of sigs I don't understand here but that one is probably tops. Maybe I'm being too sensitive.

2. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20110621/BUSINESS/110621037/Gannett-News-Leader-announce-layoffs?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm amazed there haven't been any yet. Just suicides...

4. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

This sucks beyond words. Makes me more thankful than ever than my shop is privately owned.

Anyone heard how this is affecting the Clarion-Ledger? I've already heard they may not fill the Ole Miss beat writer vacancy.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Reading this, I feel like we're trying to find out if our loved ones were affected by some natural disaster -- is Indy OK? Did Des Moines ride it out?

Has anyone heard if papers in the Fresno, Calif., area have been affected? There's a guy there I used to work with who is based out of there.

6. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

Yes being way to sensitive. Newspaper execs pretty much did this to themselves. I do feel bad for anyone who loses their job however.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The frightening part is I'm not the least bit convinced any of them care.

I read your points and completely agree with them. But if they don't care, all they'll do is hit <Delete> and coldly continue to collect their fat bonuses.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's more strategic than that. They get rid of the high salaries and beats that they can get coverage from from another paper or AP. They also are now convinced that writers can edit their own copy and take their own photos, so the copy editors and photogs are gone as well.

9. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

I see on Gannett blog there's 10 layoffs at Clarion Ledger, 4 in newsroom ... "so far."

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Spartan: Fresno is not Gannett ........

11. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Heard 14 got the ax in Asheville, and five in Greenville, S.C. ... don't have names or positions though ...

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Ironic that Gannett probably spent tons of time trying to find a solid, well-qualified female sports editor .... and then axes her.

Draft saved Draft deleted