1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Gannett cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Jun 21, 2011.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Honest question. If they are cutting positions in places like Des Moines and Indianapolis, which were supposed to be their editing "hubs" in this grand new plan, who the hell is going to be editing and paginating all these papers? Monkeys? Robots?

What gives? I would think those spots were the places where they would be staffing up.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What a disaster. My thoughts are with those who were laid off.

4. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I don't think Indy is an editing hub. But Des Moines is ..

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

No cuts in Lafayette or Opelousas. /thankthegoodLord

I've heard two in Monroe, two in Shreveport and Jackson and Montgomery got hit hard (haven't heard numbers yet).

And yet, we get told again today that we're very much a profitable company in better shape than most. Hmmmm.

6. accguy

accguy Member

What is anybody hearing about Lansing? Someone on the Gannett Blog said sports is being gutted.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Crap.

8. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Louisville is the design/editing hub for Indy's region.

9. Rudy Petross

Rudy Petross Member

Ok, so this may not work, but it made me feel a lot better. I emailed Bob Dickey with another email account and wrote the following:

To: Bob Dickey, rdickey@gannett.com

Re: Mass layoffs at Gannett to satisfy upper management and stockholders greed

Bob just a quick question regarding the news that Gannett was “forced” to lay off approximately 700 people to appease stockholders because the company’s profit margin wasn’t in the unrealistic stratosphere the board of directors and stockholders thought it should be.

My question is how do any of you look in the mirror knowing you have needlessly ruined 2 percent of your workforces lives while CEO Craig Dubow got paid $9.4 million last year – twice what he earned in 2009 – and a bonus while other senior executives also got huge raises?

While you soulless cretins revel in your ungodly wealth, know that you have contributed nothing to this planet except for a lust for money that will ultimately be your downfall.

I invite anyone who wants to cut and paste or add your own version to send it to him. I think we bitch about it here, but don't give them the feedback they deserve. He may not even read it, but someone's going to and hopefully that's a start.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And Louisville got gutted. 50 in the building, 24 of them in the newsroom.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Any word from 1100 Broadway in Nashville?

12. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Here's one key phrase from the official memo: "It is important to note that these decisions do not reflect individual performance."

Does that mean Gannett Corporate is finally acknowledging they're just pulling names out of a hat?

Draft saved Draft deleted