1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Gannett cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Just read that Gannett is cutting two percent of its workforce in community papers division. (Is that all but USA Today and Free Press?)

Anyone hear of specific cuts yet?

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Gannett blog is up to 135 departures.

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Heard of newsroom cuts in Louisville and Indianapolis.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Romenesko says it's 700 within the newspaper division.

5. MileHigh

Here's the usual drivel and bullshit:

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/136527/gannett-to-layoff-about-700-newspaper-employees/#more-136527

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Here are some interesting financial points from Gannett Blog:
    "Today's cuts came after many newspaper workers took one-week unpaid furloughs during the current quarter. And they come three months after GCI disclosed that Chairman and CEO Craig Dubow got paid $9.4 million last year -- twice what he earned in 2009. Other senior executives also got huge raises, company documents show.

"Dubow's pay included a $1.75 million cash bonus, based partly on his success in reducing costs through layoffs, furloughs and other austerity measures. Bonuses awarded other executives were also calculated according to that same formula."

Any of us could be an executive given their sharp skills. And by "sharp," we mean "will gladly cut everyone to give ourselves the money for a fifth vacation home, fourth party yacht and ninth luxury car."

Gannett is richly rewarding executives for failure ... and no amount of spin they can put on it says otherwise. Their products are awful, their treatment of employees is inexcusable and they're rewarding themselves for mass slaughter. Not surprised at all, but just sayin'.

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I know two very good, longtime journalists who lost jobs today in Indianapolis. This business gets more disheartening everyday.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I know of one very good sports guy at a Gannett property who got out after Gannett/thelocalpaperpowersthatthinktheybe laid off a longtime staffer in a less-than-stellar manner.

And I'm sure those stories are in the hundreds throughout this chain alone ...

9. Fran Curci

And Indy -- like most Gannett papers --- has had a ton of cuts lately. is this related to the combined editing operations?

10. Fran Curci

P.S. Gannett blog said the sports editor was laid off in Springfield, Mo.

11. MileHigh

No need for one of those. I mean, it's working out so well in Sacramento.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

OK, people on the thread defending CEO pay -- what do you make of this? Actually, I know what you make of this. The guy is getting paid to do exactly what he's charged with doing: making the death spiral as profitable as possible for shareholders.

Well, fuck that guy, and fuck the system that rewards him. Why does Wall Street hate America?

Draft saved Draft deleted